cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus maximus xi hero damaged by xmp

cadillacdan
Level 7
Have a Asus Maximus xi hero wifi motherboard with current bios 1802. Bios update I did about 2 months ago. Pc has ran great since I built it November 2019. On Feb 21 decided to change memory settings to Xmp. Played bf5 game for about 20mins crashed to desktop and some time later got bug stop error. Went back in bios set memory to auto and continued to get blue screens and freezes. I even went to best buy got new memory and still crashed. Did my motherboard get ruined possible?* I am beyond lost on how changing memory settings can cause so much pain. I been on pc 9hrs to fix this issue and made no progress. System restore did not help. Motherboard appears find. Capacitors look fine. Is there something to do to motherboard?
6 REPLIES 6

DirtyMacho
Level 7
cadillacdan wrote:
Have a Asus Maximus xi hero wifi motherboard with current bios 1802. Bios update I did about 2 months ago. Pc has ran great since I built it November 2019. On Feb 21 decided to change memory settings to Xmp. Played bf5 game for about 20mins crashed to desktop and some time later got bug stop error. Went back in bios set memory to auto and continued to get blue screens and freezes. I even went to best buy got new memory and still crashed. Did my motherboard get ruined possible?* I am beyond lost on how changing memory settings can cause so much pain. I been on pc 9hrs to fix this issue and made no progress. System restore did not help. Motherboard appears find. Capacitors look fine. Is there something to do to motherboard?

You need to share the error code and snapshot to find the actual issue. As long the system boots and you cant get into OS and seeing stop error bluescreen even with new set of ram and only thing i could think of is CPU core's might have failed. Try reducing the cores to 2 or 4 instead of full and see if that works.

Its only possible to validate once you get into OS and if you already riped of the pc then check if any burn on CPU pin

At blue screen it was whea uncorrectable error. I even reinstalled windows and still happens. Just this morning the pc just completely locked up. Just so confused since I was on pc 8/9hrs Saturday Gaming. First thing Sunday turned on pc and went into bios to change memory settings......then blue screen /crashes. I will look at cpu after work
Thanks for any info and help

cadillacdan wrote:
At blue screen it was whea uncorrectable error. I even reinstalled windows and still happens. Just this morning the pc just completely locked up. Just so confused since I was on pc 8/9hrs Saturday Gaming. First thing Sunday turned on pc and went into bios to change memory settings......then blue screen /crashes. I will look at cpu after work
Thanks for any info and help

classic case of cpu not getting fed enough voltage, games like bf5 expose this.

keep raising ur VCORE voltage slightly should do it justice.

I was able to play bf5 and nioh fine all day Saturday and the many months prior to Sunday. Wonder if changing memory to xmp changed some other setting in bios. This is a complete headache trying to figure this issue out. Pc ran fantastic 14 months great and changing xmp setting caused an issue and still does when setting memory to auto like it was. Wonder if I should do bios reset. Can you tell me what important voltage/settings should be so I can compare to what is set at? I have a feeling changing xmp changed something else.

Thanka

bscool
Level 11
Sometimes even loading defaults will not clear/restore some settings so I would try to clear the cmos by removing battery as a last resort if nothing else works. If the battery is difficult to get at because the GPU is blocking it turn off the PSU or unplug it and hold the clear cmos button for 20-30 seconds and that might do it also.

Hey @cadillacdan,

I am you, you are me! I had nearly exactly the same issue as you due to doing the same things. Did you sort it out at all?

I tried numerous fixes but then finally (should have done it initially) I went in manually and put the recommended timings and voltage in earlier this week and it hasn't been a problem since (touch wood).

Anyway, just wanted to check you got it fixed. 😄