cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[TeamROG] ottoyu34's Folding machine project

ottoyu34
Level 9
Welcome to my worklog. Feel free to give me some feedback. I'm sure that everyone including me will learn new things during this experience. I will also post some folding results here and mostly at the F@H section. Picture quality is not good but enjoy!

Project Name
I don't have one yet, I usually come up with names once I have some usage on it.

System specifications
CPU: Intel i7 980X
RAM: Corsair Dominator 1600mhz 6GB CL8
MOBO: Asus Rampage III Extreme
GPU: Unknown (backup card atm)
SSD: OCZ Vertex series 120GB
PSU: Antec TruePower Quattro 1200W
CASE: Corsair Obsidian 800D

OTHERS:
NZXT Sentry 2 fan controller
Noctua NF-P12 fans
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme + bolt-thur kit

Thanks to viewers reading this right now.
44 REPLIES 44

ottoyu34
Level 9
I got the parts today!

I also purchased some goodies for this beast.

Adding a Gigabit switch with some Cat5e to expand my LAN

martin_metal_88
Level 8
Hey otto! Nice workblog really hope to see this build up and running for folding! You also have wonderfull couch pillow:) especially the left one with the rainbow on it:P
Martin_metal_88

Colenzo :Coolermaster ATCS 840 | Gigabyte's EP55-UD5 | Intel Core I7 860 @ 3.8Ghz | 4GB G.skill Trident 1600 | MSI GTX460 1GB HAWK Twin frozr | WD 640 black + WD 1TB green + WD 1TB Blue | Pionner DVR-216 | Silverstone Strider Plus 850W | Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus in push pull fan config |

Ask for more!

ottoyu34
Level 9
that sofa and pillows are about 20 years old.

Update: unboxing of the hardware.

Intel Core i7 980X

3.33Ghz? Soon it will be much more.

OCZ Vertex SSD

Nicely package. Supports TRIM.

Asus Rampage 3 Extreme
This board speaks for itself.

Antec TPQ 1200
Very well build and we will put it to the test very soon.

Caps for on most connections to your main conpoments.

Corsair 800D

this case offers many great features for enthusiasts, proving that it is well designed and engineered.

ottoyu34
Level 9
Update: case preperation & cable management

Since it is a full-size case. Normal PSU won't have 8pin EPS cable long enough. So I overlooked
Corsair's packages and took my spare one out. Corsair included one about 4" long.

This is my spare one

NZXT Sentry 2, it is capable about controling 5 channel, >15W each maximum. It will control all
of the fan inside the system.

and it's installed

Connecting the fans

checking out the underside of the 980X

Then, I shall put it into the motherboard

it's ready for some folding action

ottoyu34
Level 9
Update: reapply TIM on the motherboard

I'm still waiting on another package coming next week to continue on.
So far, the build looks like this:

Preperation of the routing of the cables from the beast, Antec TPQ 1200W.

Routing of the fan controller/fan cables and power cables

Other parts are waiting here

The fan controller fits nicely with the styling.

I got bored and decided to re-apply the TIM on the Mobo. On the back, you have remove those 7 black screws and two other sliver ones on the other side holding on to the mosfets. There isn't a single push pin on this board. Great stuff!

Extreme Engine Digi+ VRM, 8-phase power for the CPU.

bare naked. 3-phase each for the DRAM and Northbridge, just located below the 1st PCI-Express slot.

3-phase QPI/DRAM power with ML Caps just above the X58 chipset. Normally. it is under the heatsink.

So it got cleaned and applied some better quality TIM.

martin_metal_88
Level 8
Hm this baby look sexy when she is undressed;) I mean, un-coolered:confused: Carry on otto! almost done! with the cabling 😛
Martin_metal_88

Colenzo :Coolermaster ATCS 840 | Gigabyte's EP55-UD5 | Intel Core I7 860 @ 3.8Ghz | 4GB G.skill Trident 1600 | MSI GTX460 1GB HAWK Twin frozr | WD 640 black + WD 1TB green + WD 1TB Blue | Pionner DVR-216 | Silverstone Strider Plus 850W | Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus in push pull fan config |

Ask for more!

ottoyu34
Level 9
Update: New fan and SSD installation

I decided to install the OCZ Vertex 120GB SSD to one of the four hot swap bay in the 800D. I had
trouble install at first and realise it was the mounting screw interference. So make sure you get
some flat head screws.

Those two screws on the bottom could cause issues. It's installed after all and we will see if this bad boy can perform any close to 250mb/s read and 180mb/s write.

Also, I picked up a new fan from my local store. As expected, they won't have much quality fans there.
I picked it up mainly because it also has the red/black colour theme.

I just snapped the parts together just to get idea how it would look.

Retired
Not applicable
sweet folding machine otto!

Pretty nice one. I am waiting for news about the fan. Do these have sensor on it like apolish which make them crappy for rad??? Carry on good work my friend!
Martin_metal_88

Ask for more!