cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing chipset drivers cause huge input lag

empleat
Level 10
I did install chipset drivers first and then Nvidia drivers. Mouse is now heavy and there is high input lag! I read similar things on forums years ago. Do I even need chipset drivers for anything realistically? Could this improve gaming performance, or stability? Are there any benefits for gaming? Because I hate this mouse feel right now!!!

Thanks for answer.
8 REPLIES 8

Mountainlifter
Level 10
empleat wrote:
I did install chipset drivers first and then Nvidia drivers. Mouse is now heavy and there is high input lag! I read similar things on forums years ago. Do I even need chipset drivers for anything realistically? Could this improve gaming performance, or stability? Are there any benefits for gaming? Because I hate this mouse feel right now!!!

Thanks for answer.

Chipset drivers take care of the fundamentals on the mobo. You need them if you don't want generic windows drivers doing things slowly.

What have you tried to resolve the issue? Did you disable acceleration? Did you reintall your mouse drivers? make and model of your mouse? What is your mobo?

cuke2u
Level 8
Could just be coincidence and if wireless mouse the batteries are either low or the receiver is too far away.
Asus Strix Z390-F, Intel i9 9900k, 32gb Team Group Night Hawk RGB, Corsair ML120 Pro RGB Premium AIO, be quiet! Straight Power 11 650W, AMD Vega 56, Lian Li Alpha 500X RGB, Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe

Mountainlifter wrote:
Chipset drivers take care of the fundamentals on the mobo. You need them if you don't want generic windows drivers doing things slowly.

What have you tried to resolve the issue? Did you disable acceleration? Did you reintall your mouse drivers? make and model of your mouse? What is your mobo?

Yea, before there were 2 yellow devices: SMBus and second didn't have a name, I can't know now what it was. I am on z390-i gaming. I read from readme of chipset drivers, it is not optimal to have yellow devices these days and standard is no yellow devices. But I Am not sure, what it can affect exactly! I had no issues in particular before installing chipset drivers. At least I knew about...

First before I address what I tried, I would like to add:

I think that installing Chipset causing input lag is common! I read that on many forums in threads about tweaking and myself had always same experience, after installing them. Also to add to the issue: after installing Chipset drivers - I have feeling that mouse is more accurate, but it is heavy and more sluggish. It is more precise when doing small adjustments, but not reacting as quickly as before!

Drivers are source of DPC latency, besides they can cause input lag, there is not doubt! Input lag is even more important than DPC latency! I noticed, after installing some programs, which install drivers - there is more of input lag. As badly coded drivers can slow a system. Manufacturers don't care unfortunately about DPC latency much and underestimate it a lot and drivers are also complicated and not optimized many times!

Also on tweak forums it is not recommended to install Realtek audio drivers, which cause input lag too. And this is not a placebo! This is kind of input lag you can very clearly tell! Also on sound production forums they dislike them! I Am extremely sensitive to input lag, I tested myself with blur busters input lag AB test and I was able to tell even 6 ms of input lag difference, after thorough testing!

Although there were instances where out of date audio drivers - caused stuttering e.g. CS GO, Call of Duty Warzone. So you may not get away without them!

What I tried:

Besides optimizing my system for low input lag. I am very careful these days! No corruption in sfc/dism. No important errors in Event Viewer.

- all devices are in msi
- yep I disabled acceleration and yet smoothing in regedit and dynamic tick
- I disabled turn off device to save power & allow to wake device from sleep for all: HID, mouse, keyboard, USB devices.
- I use ultimate power plan , with disabled idle saver and selective USB suspend
- I use top 2 USB ports
- Legacy USB is disabled in BIOS

I am confident, this is not mouse/driver issue, or setting issue. This input lag, very clearly starts happening after installing of Chipset drivers. While I understand, it is optimal to install them. I Am not sure, if it is 100% necessary. Also there are benefits: mouse feels more precise, but lags more! I will play on it more and decide by this fact too.

Computers are very complicated today. I Am mainly interested if not having Chipset drivers: could theoretically cause fps drops, or another issues affecting gaming performance/smoothness. This comes before input lag for me. I don't care that much about system stability, unless I have some critical issues!

cuke2u wrote:
Could just be coincidence and if wireless mouse the batteries are either low or the receiver is too far away.

I don't use currently wireless mouse.

PS: don't underestimate human benchmark. From tests on pilots, people were about tell even 1/280 fps, or more... Also did you know human eye can see even individual photon of light? Although I don't have 1000fps camera, because it can't discern small input lag under 1ms, which can accumulate over time. Like if your mouse lags 0.9ms at each frame, it accumulates over time and you can feel it! Maybe not 0.9ms, even if you have like 144hz and it lags 144 times about 0.9ms. Who knows... Also if you have like 10 bottlenecks under 1ms, 1000fps camera won't tell you anything! Unless you fix more of them. And it is expensive, I can discern input lag well so I don't need it.

cuke2u
Level 8
I don't know about mouse lag being common, I have had both the generic windows provided chipset drivers and the Intel provided ones installed. My own desktops or laptops have never suffered from this neither have the hundreds of Intel based desktops, laptops or tablets I care for at work have really exhibited this issue upon a common basis.
Asus Strix Z390-F, Intel i9 9900k, 32gb Team Group Night Hawk RGB, Corsair ML120 Pro RGB Premium AIO, be quiet! Straight Power 11 650W, AMD Vega 56, Lian Li Alpha 500X RGB, Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe

Maybe you are not as sensitive. I Am confident, it is - chipset drivers! Also depends on HW configurations, we don't have probably same mobo 😉 These things can differ greatly per system!

cuke2u
Level 8
I also game and have sensitivity. I also have a Z390 mobo with mine, but have owned several. Currently have two desktops and a file server. No lag...

I don't want to brag. Some people are more sensitive to input lag, that's just fact. Systems are complex, still you have different mobo and hardware/software. It is combination of things, who knows really?

If you want you cant test yourself on input lag BTW, it splits screen at half, one side has more input lag, it is customizable: https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?t=1134&start=20

I am with you empleat, I noticed now after a furious of testings after I've done everything that the final crack down was uninstalling the Intel SMBUS driver, and the mouse was instantly improved by 10000%.

I hope that help you.

I kept all other drivers, I just uninstalled them without uninstalling the driver it self just uninstall device, and tested the mouse movement without restarting, there was no need to restart for these drivers. I uninstalled also

Intel Host Bridge/Dram Registeres, Intel LPC Controllers/eSPI Controller, Intel LPSS: I2C Controller, Intel Shared SRAM, Intel SPI Flash Controller