ROG Junior Member Array

Can a GT-AC5300 support asuswrt-merlin firmware?

Just bought GT-AC5300 on advice that by installing asuswrt firmware I could configure it as a VPN router by creating a NordVPN VPN Client connection like I have on my RT-AC87U which works perfectly.

Tried loads of different versions and every time I try to upload I get "Invalid Firmware Upload", so does the router actually support merlin? - if so, has Asus stopped it in some way and is there a workaround? if not it's back to Amazon!

thanks in advance

ROG Enthusiast Array

I have the
    RT-AC5300 and would like to know if this merlin firmware would work as well? Where do u get it and what is different rather than stock firmware?

New ROGer Array

Unfortunately as far as I'm aware none of the ASUS GT routers are supported by any third party firmware. If you want something close that does work look at the ASUS RT-AC86U or similar non-GT model.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by harry.common.uk View Post
    Just bought GT-AC5300 on advice that by installing asuswrt firmware I could configure it as a VPN router by creating a NordVPN VPN Client connection like I have on my RT-AC87U which works perfectly.

Tried loads of different versions and every time I try to upload I get "Invalid Firmware Upload", so does the router actually support merlin? - if so, has Asus stopped it in some way and is there a workaround? if not it's back to Amazon!

thanks in advance
    You were told wrong. This will router will never be supported by Merlin - your best bet is to return it and get something elseÂ*

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by ragea1 View Post
    Unfortunately as far as I'm aware none of the ASUS GT routers are supported by any third party firmware. If you want something close that does work look at the ASUS RT-AC86U or similar non-GT model.

I don't think your statement is correct, the asus GT-AX11000 for example is supported and there other gt- supported

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array ahfoo's Avatar

iIt support but without the ROG function if I known. Correct if if I am wrong.