cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raid setup for the two non- Intel M.2s on the Dimm.2

Joe45
Level 7
I have four M.2s installed on my Rampage VI Extreme Omega. I'm trying to set the two M.2s on the Dimm.2 to Raid without using Intel VROC. These are not the M.2s connected to the motherboard but, the ones installed on the card that go into the slot next to the memory.

It must be a state secert because nobody is leaking the setup; unless it cannot be done without using Intel drives and the doggle.

Well .... is it possible without Intel ?

I'm using four "Samsung V-Nand SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 1TB each. All four drives show in the bios and directory.

If it is possible please let me know..I won't reveal my source.

Don't give me that I'd have to kill you crap.:o
4 REPLIES 4

G75rog
Level 10
You should be able to set them up as a Windows Raid array, just not bootable though.
If you want to have a non Intel bootable array you'll need a third party bootable Raid card to install them in.

Internet searches are your friend.

G75rog wrote:
You should be able to set them up as a Windows Raid array, just not bootable though.
If you want to have a non Intel bootable array you'll need a third party bootable Raid card to install them in.

Internet searches are your friend.

Thank you both for the response.

First the big question is answered, - Can non intel M.2 drives be config. into a raid on the Dimm.2 without Intel VROC key or Intel drives.....NO

However, I found out that a raid 0 can be set up (bootable) if I use the two M.2 on the motherboard but, as per BigJohnny it's all not worth it. Intel has a lock on performance. It would have been nice if Asus said something .

G75rog, Not sure what card would allow the 2 Dimm.2 M.2 drives to be config. into raid. I did search for hours to get my first question answered there isn't much out there for the RE6.

Again Thank you for the help.

BigJohnny
Level 13
Ive not tried but did just that on the original R6E. Two Samsung drives but its a waste of time, no added speed and you lose big time with the added latency of raid so a lose lose scenario as to do it non VROC on the R6E it had to be done through the PCH which was the bottleneck. Speed gains on sequential were very minimal as you are limited to 4 lanes on the DMI for both drives and everything else including USB and sound. Just not worth it. Then when you see the 4K low que depth speeds its very disappointing.

Or you can set them to go through the CPU software raid so not bootable as mentioned. This isnt an ASUS thing, this is an intel thing, they own the chipset and this was done intentionally as enterprise solutions pay big $$ for the keys and abilities to use non intel drives. In the meantime Im running two intel drives bootable on a R6EE now and they work fine. If you look around you can find the 380GB Intel 905P M2 drives a little cheaper than the norm. Trying to recall where I picked them up but they were OEM and came in plain white boxes and about 30% less than MSRP.

G75rog
Level 10
The drives on the Dimm.2 would end up being mounted on the raid card unless additional drves were purchased.