cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Build Advice, ARGB Connectors

Riviera400
Level 7
Hello All,

First build and first post. And probably one of the more mundane posts on the forum.

Is it me or are the three pin argb connectors just down right flimsy? I mean, I know they're only passing 5V and data. But the connectors themselves, whether from components (Fans, pump cooling block, etc.) to a splitter or splitter to MoBo, are not very robust. No clips or other retaining mechanism and they disconnect very easily. They almost all (except for the proprietary ones like Corsair with the Commander Pro) seem to rely merely on the friction of the three minuscule pins to stay connected. At least based upon my very limited experience.

I decided I didn't want to use the Commander Pro and be forced to use two apps to control lighting. I found an aftermarket adapter for the Corsair proprietary connector to standard 3-pin argb for the pump/reservoir. But short of electrical tape (is that really what I have to resort to?) it would practically disconnect from the air flow from the fans (OK, SLIGHT exaggeration). Interestingly, the Corsair Cooling Block came with a Corsair to standard 3-pin connector. Perhaps they are finally giving up the proprietary battle and just hadn't gotten to the pump yet.

I've searched the web looking for a 3-pin to 3-pin connector that have some sort of retaining mechanism but with no luck. Anyone know of something?

Thanks in advance,

Build:

Case - Asus ROG Strix Helios GX601
MoBo - ASUS ROG X570 Crosshairs VIII Formula
CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
GPU - EVGA NVIDIA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
RAM - Samsung G-Skill Trident Z Royal 32Gb (4X8Gb) DDR4 4.6Ghz
SSD - C: (2) Samsung 980 Pro 1TB PCIe Gen 4 M.2 SSD's. Configured RAID0
PSU - ASUS ROG Thor 1200W
HDD - Toshiba HDWR160XZSTA X300 6TB 3.5-Inch
Cooling:
Rad - Corsair XR5-420mm
Pump/Reservoir - Corsair XD5 RGB
Block - Corsair XC7 RGB
GPU - EK Quantum Vector FTW3 RTX 3080/3090 D-RGB - Nickel + Acetal (On order. Stock cooled for now)
Fans - 3xThermaltake Duo 140mm (front/rad), 1xThermnaltake Duo (Rear). 3xRog Strix (Top)
OS - Windows 10 Pro
Monitors - (2) LG 27GN950-B 27” UHD @ 144Hz
Keyboard - ASUS ROG Strix Flare RGB
Mouse - ASUS ROG Gladius II Origin Wired RGB
Mouse pad - ASUS ROG Balteus Qi RGB
Headset - JBL Quantum 800 (my only regret so far)
0 REPLIES 0