cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RT-AX82U Dual Band Issues Specific with 2.4Ghz

Scolirk
Level 7
Hey everyone,

I know this isn't an ROG product but I can't find a support forum for Asus' regular line of products and their support FAQ doesn't give me much detail. I just bought an RT-AX82U WiFi6 router yesterday in hopes of improving my network. I set it up the other night with the 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz networks being separate, as I have some IoT/Smart Home devices that need 2.4Ghz. Once I setup everything I was getting full speed results from speedtest.net on LAN and the 5Ghz network, but the 2.4Ghz was reporting about 1/100th of my download speed even sitting in front of the router.

Last night I tried to get some help from my gaming guild, the only change I made was to disable the WiFi6/802.11ax mode for the 2.4Ghz network and immediately I noticed a serious improvement, up to about 80% of my ISP's bandwidth. This morning it's back to 1/100th. I decided to change the settings on the router to Smart Connect and now everything has throttled down to 1.5Mbps instead of the 125Mpbs I pay for.

I'm wondering if there's some setting I need to change in order to get the 2.4Ghz network to function properly, or if there's a fault with the hardware, specific to the 2.4Ghz radio. Thank you in advance!
3 REPLIES 3

Saltgrass
Level 13
Sorry no one has an answer for you. If you check the thread again, I was wondering where the setting to turn off AX for the 2.4 GHz network was..?

Would you think the other devices on the 2.4 network would be taking up all the bandwidth? The 2.4 GHz is a different frequency range and may be affected by such things as wireless phones. You are running the 2.4 as 20/40 MHz and you should be getting the full speed. You might watch for time of day or your environment to see if you can find anything in common when the speed is low or high..

The situation with a Bandwidth manager may be a little difficult to understand. Since it prioritizes certain streams, it may limit others so such things as video and gaming get as much as they can. The Speed test may not be set to get any priority.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

At first I thought that might be the case, so the third time I setup the network (second factory reset) I only added 1 device to the WiFi, this laptop I use. I connected on 5Ghz and had full speeds, and on 2.4Ghz I had 1/100th of the speed. The laptop was the only wireless client during this testing. I feel it's some sort of hardware related problem as I've tried everything software wise/settings wise to fix it.

Saltgrass
Level 13
The environment may be involved with the 2.4 GHz network since it is more crowded..

Have you looked at changing control channels? If you had a good graph of wireless usage in your area you might be able to see what could be overlapping. I have a Killer Wireless app that does a good job of this but I have never been able to get the Wi-Fi Radar in the router to work.

What signal strength do you show when on the 2.4 GHz network..

Disabling the AX may give the 2.4 GHz band more room to find a better channel. But I don't think the 2.4 actually uses the AX capability.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200