cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X570 POST/BIOS not displaying with ultrawide plugged in

Caldorian66
Level 7
I just purchased a new Asus TUF x570-Pro Wifi motherboard, and put a 5900X in it. What I'm finding is that if I have my AW3821DW (3840x1600@144HZ native) plugged into the GPU (EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3) when the system boots, I don't get any boot screen output until Windows fully loads and the Login screen comes up. However, if have only my other 24" 1920x1080 monitor plugged in, the boot logo displays, and I can enter the BIOS. Both monitors plugged in shows not boot logo. Doesn't matter which ports on the GPU the monitors are plugged into.

Even on a reboot and rapidly hitting DEL, it goes right to windows and the login screen.
Is this a known issue? I'm running the latest 3405 BIOS.
10 REPLIES 10

thesmokingman
Level 7
Caldorian66 wrote:
I just purchased a new Asus TUF x570-Pro Wifi motherboard, and put a 5900X in it. What I'm finding is that if I have my AW3821DW (3840x1600@144HZ native) plugged into the GPU (EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3) when the system boots, I don't get any boot screen output until Windows fully loads and the Login screen comes up. However, if have only my other 24" 1920x1080 monitor plugged in, the boot logo displays, and I can enter the BIOS. Both monitors plugged in shows not boot logo. Doesn't matter which ports on the GPU the monitors are plugged into.

Even on a reboot and rapidly hitting DEL, it goes right to windows and the login screen.

What you're seeing isn't that uncommon and yea spamming del doesn't do anything. On a "reboot" with fast boot in bios and windows its almost impossible to get to bios. With my Samsung G9 I can realized I can get to bios from a cold boot, ie. shutdown then boot. Or you can switch to hdmi, ie a separate monitor (like you have) or use the hdmi port on your main monitor. If it still bothers you, try using the post delay setting in bios. I used to keep a hdmi cable and the dp cable connected on my G9 but now knowing how it behaves just the dp is good for me as when I need bios I do a cold boot.

thesmokingman wrote:
What you're seeing isn't that uncommon and yea spamming del doesn't do anything. On a "reboot" with fast boot in bios and windows its almost impossible to get to bios. With my Samsung G9 I can realized I can get to bios from a cold boot, ie. shutdown then boot. Or you can switch to hdmi, ie a separate monitor (like you have) or use the hdmi port on your main monitor. If it still bothers you, try using the post delay setting in bios. I used to keep a hdmi cable and the dp cable connected on my G9 but now knowing how it behaves just the dp is good for me as when I need bios I do a cold boot.

With my G9 I also have the same issue. I can get a bios boot screen if I have the monitor menu up when it is booting. It's almost like it cannot detect the signal unless I do so

thhrash wrote:
With my G9 I also have the same issue. I can get a bios boot screen if I have the monitor menu up when it is booting. It's almost like it cannot detect the signal unless I do so

Check it out for yourself the difference when you do a cold boot vs a warm boot, ie. fresh boot or boot from a shutdown state (cold) vs rebooting (warm) ie. from the OS. Bios comes up every time from a cold boot. The difference between the two is a cold boot interrupts the power initiating the power on self test which is needed to trigger the bios on these panels. From a warm boot, it is impossible to get into bios.

primeshooter
Level 10
Caldorian66 wrote:

I am getting it with 3405 albeit intermittantly as are others. This is with a 3900X. It's a bios issue. I urge you to submit a ticket and follow it through, this will get fixed quicker this way.

Caldorian66
Level 7
May have got this resolved on my own. Noticed that the VGA LED on the motherboard was staying lit up even after the system booted and OS loaded. A few google queries and support forums later, I found a post that talked about an nvidia Firmware Update for various graphics cards to resolve some DP 1.3/1.4 issues.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/
https://forums.evga.com/DP-13-14-monitor-could-blank-screens-on-boot-until-the-OS-loads-or-Hang-on-B...

After running the NV tool, it did say my card required updating, so I let it go. First reboot after the install, and I'm now seeing the POST screen, and the white VGA light went out.
Might be worth something to look at for others. Never heard of this firmware update before, and it's not exactly widely publicized.

Caldorian66 wrote:
May have got this resolved on my own. Noticed that the VGA LED on the motherboard was staying lit up even after the system booted and OS loaded. A few google queries and support forums later, I found a post that talked about an nvidia Firmware Update for various graphics cards to resolve some DP 1.3/1.4 issues.
https://forums.evga.com/DP-13-14-monitor-could-blank-screens-on-boot-until-the-OS-loads-or-Hang-on-B...

After running the NV tool, it did say my card required updating, so I let it go. First reboot after the install, and I'm now seeing the POST screen, and the white VGA light went out.
Might be worth something to look at for others. Never heard of this firmware update before, and it's not exactly widely publicized.

Mine says it needed updating too, Done! (Do no understand why geforce expereince didn't do this automatically with th elast driver installed only a few days ago however.

primeshooter wrote:
Mine says it needed updating too, Done! (Do no understand why geforce expereince didn't do this automatically with th elast driver installed only a few days ago however.

Did you find that it resolved your issue?
Ya, I don't know why GeForce Experience doesn't include this.

Caldorian66 wrote:
Did you find that it resolved your issue?
Ya, I don't know why GeForce Experience doesn't include this.

Only time will tell as issue was pretty intermittent. Good so far.

thesmokingman
Level 7
Caldorian66 wrote:

That patch has no bearing on my setup, ie. 30 series card.