cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running 5800x on a CH7 (x470) board?

skrybe
Level 9
I've been trying to find real feedback (ie: reviews) where people have tested the 5000 series CPUs on a Crosshair VII (or any x470) motherboard to see whether it's working well, what the performance is like and whether there are any "gotchas" (ie: problems or issues you might encounter) with no real luck. So I'm wondering whether anyone here is actually running a Crosshair VII with a 5000 series CPU, preferably the 5800x, but any 5000 series would be useful.

Here are the questions;

1. Is it stable?

2. Which version of Bios are you using?

3. Did you use the new Bios with your old (pre-5000 series) CPU?

4. Have you needed to flash back to an old bios to get your old CPU working again?

5. How is performance? Any benchmarks would be useful.

6. What GPU are you using? I'm looking to move to either RTX3080 or the comparable radeon at some point too, and trying to decide whether to buy GPU before CPU, before mobo...

Any other issues or quirks you found?

edit: Should have said, if there are any existing links where people are discussing real world performance/issues as mentioned above they'd be appreciated 🙂
5 REPLIES 5

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

CPU should work fine. Flash to the latest UEFI for the latest AGESA using USB Flashback, however this isn't essential. Beyond memory tuning, performance delta between platforms should be very slim
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello,

CPU should work fine. Flash to the latest UEFI for the latest AGESA using USB Flashback, however this isn't essential. Beyond memory tuning, performance delta between platforms should be very slim

I agree. I have ran my 5900X on both the CH7 and the CH8, very similar experience, biggest difference is CH8 has PCIE 4.0 which isn't a must have for most people. A good old Samsung 970 Evo Plus PCIE 3.0 does 3.5GB/s which is plenty fast enough.
R9 7950X - ASUS X670E Crosshair Extreme (bios 0803) - 32GB HyperX Fury Beast @6200c32 - Corsair H150i Pro - ASUS RTX3080 TUF OC V2 - Phanteks P400A - Corsair RM850 - WD SN850

skrybe
Level 9
Thanks for the replies. So you had no troubles running the 5900X on the CH7, just plug in and it worked?

I'm honestly a little torn about upgrading at the moment. Mostly because we've been told next CPUs will need a new socket, so buying a CPU and mobo seems a bit wasteful at the moment. If I can run it without gimping it too much on the CH7 I'd at least be saving some money.

skrybe wrote:
Thanks for the replies. So you had no troubles running the 5900X on the CH7, just plug in and it worked?

I'm honestly a little torn about upgrading at the moment. Mostly because we've been told next CPUs will need a new socket, so buying a CPU and mobo seems a bit wasteful at the moment. If I can run it without gimping it too much on the CH7 I'd at least be saving some money.

No Gimping, just install the latest bios using Bios Flashback _before_ mounting the new CPU
R9 7950X - ASUS X670E Crosshair Extreme (bios 0803) - 32GB HyperX Fury Beast @6200c32 - Corsair H150i Pro - ASUS RTX3080 TUF OC V2 - Phanteks P400A - Corsair RM850 - WD SN850

skrybe
Level 9
Excellent. Thanks again for the feedback