cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Above 4G decoding for SAM causes crash on ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

yvesgeiser
Level 7
Hi all,

My Mainbord "ROG Strix X570-E Gaming" doesn't accept to activate "Above 4G decoding". If I try turn it on, the MB will not boot anymore and stay dark. Only a CMOS reset helps to get back online.

As this is the official way to turn SAM on, I am stuck. What ist the root cause?

My GPU is a Asus TUF 6900xt. So I am on a complete ASUS setup.

The CPU is a AMD 5800x.
6 REPLIES 6

xeizo
Level 12
yvesgeiser wrote:
Hi all,

My Mainbord "ROG Strix X570-E Gaming" doesn't accept to activate "Above 4G decoding". If I try turn it on, the MB will not boot anymore and stay dark. Only a CMOS reset helps to get back online.

As this is the official way to turn SAM on, I am stuck. What ist the root cause?

My GPU is a Asus TUF 6900xt. So I am on a complete ASUS setup.

The CPU is a AMD 5800x.

CSM needs to be disabled for it to work
R9 7950X - ASUS X670E Crosshair Extreme (bios 0803) - 32GB HyperX Fury Beast @6200c32 - Corsair H150i Pro - ASUS RTX3080 TUF OC V2 - Phanteks P400A - Corsair RM850 - WD SN850

xeizo wrote:
CSM needs to be disabled for it to work

Can it be disabled with a running Windows 10 Installation or do I have to reinstall the OS again?

yvesgeiser wrote:
Can it be disabled with a running Windows 10 Installation or do I have to reinstall the OS again?

Depends if you used GPT partition scheme or not, it only works with GPT
R9 7950X - ASUS X670E Crosshair Extreme (bios 0803) - 32GB HyperX Fury Beast @6200c32 - Corsair H150i Pro - ASUS RTX3080 TUF OC V2 - Phanteks P400A - Corsair RM850 - WD SN850

Hello,

I turned off the CSM without any problems for Windows 10. But it was not solving my problem directly. I was forced to reset my BIOS to default as my saved profile was somehow still was not working. I restored all my settings manually and now it works. 4G encoding is now enabled.

I don't have more performance yet, I have to check how to veriy if this is really active or not.

I hope this thread will be helpful for others.

Thank you @xeizo!

@yvesgeiser,thanks for the thread! I also have been trying to enable 4G encoding but gave up to no avail.
Would you share your BIOS version? I am so pumped up knowing this is possible.

yvesgeiser wrote:
Hello,

I turned off the CSM without any problems for Windows 10. But it was not solving my problem directly. I was forced to reset my BIOS to default as my saved profile was somehow still was not working. I restored all my settings manually and now it works. 4G encoding is now enabled.

I don't have more performance yet, I have to check how to veriy if this is really active or not.

I hope this thread will be helpful for others.

Thank you @xeizo!

Hi,

Depending on what UEFI revision you're coming from, profiles carried over from earlier AGESA revisions may not work depending on the applied settings. You can save the txt file from within the profile menu if unsure of what settings had been applied.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090