cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Maximus Extreme XII Z490 - Intel Core i7 11900k - Bios 2004 MB cant power on !

mmolletit
Level 7
As iam always an early adopter, i had a rare chance to get my hands on an 11700k early and first i tried with already installed 2002 on my MB. It was very bugged, booting took 30 seconds till i saw a picture, IF i got a picture at all, trying to OC fails immediatly, couldnt alter few settings in the bios like Sync all cores to 53, as soon ive set it to 53 it revereted back to 50 automatically. My 3090rtx was powered with X16 1.1... so i decided to flash the newest firmware 2004 with bios flashback but after i saw the Updating Intel ME and the screen turned black and the mainboard switched off, its impossible to power it on again... its not starting anymore. I did flashback several times now ith 2004, always the same result. No starting of the Mainboard.

Asus, PLEASE !!! if you put something into public, test it yourself before doing so ! you make ENOUGH money on a Mainboard which was 990€. I expect quality not only in Hardware but also in the Software you put on your boards.

update: i fixed it by updating BOTH bios on the board.
18 REPLIES 18

Saltgrass
Level 13
Update to post noted..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Falkentyne
Level 12
mmolletit wrote:
As iam always an early adopter, i had a rare chance to get my hands on an 11700k early and first i tried with already installed 2002 on my MB. It was very bugged, booting took 30 seconds till i saw a picture, IF i got a picture at all, trying to OC fails immediatly, couldnt alter few settings in the bios like Sync all cores to 53, as soon ive set it to 53 it revereted back to 50 automatically. My 3090rtx was powered with X16 1.1... so i decided to flash the newest firmware 2004 with bios flashback but after i saw the Updating Intel ME and the screen turned black and the mainboard switched off, its impossible to power it on again... its not starting anymore. I did flashback several times now ith 2004, always the same result. No starting of the Mainboard.

Asus, PLEASE !!! if you put something into public, test it yourself before doing so ! you make ENOUGH money on a Mainboard which was 990€. I expect quality not only in Hardware but also in the Software you put on your boards.

Thank you for the heads up.

So the proper method is to update both main and backup BIOS to 2004 via regular or USB flashback, with any Comet Lake CPU installed, then update the ME in windows to the latest version posted on these forums? And then after both main and backup are fully updated, then switch to the RKL chip?

Is the problem with the ME in 2004 itself, or the BIOS updating an older ME with RKL installed, that crashes and shuts off due to an incompatibility with pre-2004 ME + RKL?

Saltgrass
Level 13
If I am ever able to obtain a new processor, I was going to update everything prior to changing out the processor. But I would prefer not to do a clean install, so I am thinking of setting my system up for the change by turning off Win 10 Fast Startup and setting the system to startup in Safe Mode, which hopefully, allow driver changes without going into the Recovery tools.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

POSTREALITY
Level 7
mmolletit wrote:

Hello @mmolletit!
Please tell, have you updated the BIOS using a 10th generation CPU? Tell please in more detail, what you did?
I have a ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XII EXTREME motherboard, a Intel CORE i9 11900k processor, I updated the two BIOS to version 2004 (Beta) with Asus BIOS Flashback, both times everything was interrupted by the Intel ME update. Now, on any BIOS, I can not start the computer. Button "Turn ON" not working.
Big thank you for help!

bscool
Level 11
When updating z490 MB with 11th gen CPU it takes much longer than normal. So long it seems like it is not going to work. At least in my 2 experiences flashing z490 Apex and z490 Unify. I would say 5-10 minutes. I just walk away and let it do its thing.

Also boot were memory trains can be extremely long. Again so long it seems like it is a failed boot. I am talking well over a minute, maybe even 2 min depending on ram and settings. Like high clock dual rank b die @4533 takes forever to train initially.

bscool wrote:
When updating z490 MB with 11th gen CPU it takes much longer than normal. So long it seems like it is not going to work. At least in my 2 experiences flashing z490 Apex and z490 Unify. I would say 5-10 minutes. I just walk away and let it do its thing.

Also boot were memory trains can be extremely long. Again so long it seems like it is a failed boot. I am talking well over a minute, maybe even 2 min depending on ram and settings. Like high clock dual rank b die @4533 takes forever to train initially.

Hello @bscool.
After the Intel ME update crashes, the computer shuts down and does not turn on again. The lights on the motherboard are on, but the "Power ON" button has no effect, pressing it does not turn on the computer, all coolers are inactive. I updated both BIOS, but it didn't help.
I ordered an Intel Celeron G5905, it is the cheapest, I hope with the help of it I can properly update the BIOS and then change the CPU to my CORE i9 11900k.
Celeron will be delivered to me on Wednesday. Based on the results of the experiments, I will write here.
It is very sad that buying a motherboard for over $1000, you as a customer receive such a disregard from the ASUS. They could post instructions on how to update the BIOS on an 11th Gen XII series motherboard on their website if you don't have a 10th Gen CPU but ASUS doesn't care about their customers. Why then did ASUS say that the motherboards XII series will support the CPUs 11th generation? Unclear.

bscool
Level 11
Oh I didn't realize that you hadn't been using a 10th gen CPU previously. Maybe try one of these bios https://www.overclock.net/threads/asus-rog-maximus-xii-extreme-z490-discussion-owners-thread.1747862...

I am pretty sure though I flashed one of the bios using the 11900k and the bios I was flashing did not support 11th gen. It could vary from Apex to extreme though? Not sure.

With that said I wouldn't recommend using z490 MB with 11th gen CPU. It works but you will not get the most out of it if you are into mem OC. It is still buggy.

bscool wrote:
Oh I didn't realize that you hadn't been using a 10th gen CPU previously. Maybe try one of these bios https://www.overclock.net/threads/asus-rog-maximus-xii-extreme-z490-discussion-owners-thread.1747862...

I am pretty sure though I flashed one of the bios using the 11900k and the bios I was flashing did not support 11th gen. It could vary from Apex to extreme though? Not sure.

With that said I wouldn't recommend using z490 MB with 11th gen CPU. It works but you will not get the most out of it if you are into mem OC. It is still buggy.

Thanks my friend!
But, neither 2101, nor 2102, nor 2103 helped me.
The motherboard turned on only 2 times, the first time with the main BIOS when I updated to 2004, and the second time with the backup BIOS when I updated to version 2004. Both times the update broke on Intel ME.
Now, no matter what I do, I simply cannot turn on the PC, I update to different BIOS versions, on the screen under the CPU it writes "update is successful", but the PC does not even turn on.
I really hope that when I insert Celeron into motherboard, it will turn on and I can update the BIOS. Otherwise, I lost over $1000 😞

bscool
Level 11
Did it ever work at all with the 11900k?

I had a similar issue with the z490 unify where I thought MB was dead with the 11900k. I had flashed the bios and tried going back to an older bios I had to remove everything. I just left the cpu in and PSU connected. I removed all drives(sata/nvme)the ram, bios battery and GPU etc. Then I held in the clear cmos button for a minute or so and then used the flashback and it worked. Otherwise the board would not power on and do anything at all.