cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS z590 Hero 10700k Overclocking

mi3zu69
Level 7
Hello everyone,
I hope to find here some help with the issue i am facing on a ASUS z590 Hero and i had same issue on ASUS z590 Tuf Plus Wi-Fi.
I am tring to OC my 10700k CPU to a 5 ghz all core ,wich i had no issue for past 6 months on older Z490 Master at 1.3 v Turbo LLC,but after initial boot in windows at 5 ghz and a few minutes in Cinebench or CPU-Z stress test my CPU drops to 4800 or 4900 and never goes back to 5 Ghz.After a few runs of cinebench it drops to 4 ghz while under load.

What i have changed in BIOS is:
AI Overclock Tuner - XMP II
Asus MCE - Auto,tried with it enabled and disabled no luck
AVX instruction offset - 0
CPU LLC tried from 4 to 6
CPU Curent Cacability - 140%
CPU power thermal control 125
CPU Core/Cache limit max - 255,75 A
Long Duration Package power limit - 4095Watt
Short Duration Package power limit - 4095Watt
Package power time Window set de 448 sec
CPU Core/Cache Voltage - manual mode
CPU core voltage override tried from 1.3v to 1.35 ..i had this CPU at 5 ghz 1.3 prime small ftt stable for past 6 months on AORUS board.

I played with all Thermal velocity boost options on or off no luck

I am not new to overclocking but i cant find the problem on this chipset.

Are there any other features i need to look for to keep my cpu at 5 ghz steady?

As other mentioned in a post above,i also have the idle PCH temperature at arround 60 ish degrees wich i am not sure it is normal.

Thank you.
19 REPLIES 19

mi3zu69
Level 7
Hmm i finaly figured it out..this downclok is happening in Windows balanced power plan only.If i set High performance it doesnt happen and frequencies stay at 5 ghz.
Must be some window update that messed things up.

Z590 support is as beta as they come. The Bioses are not supposed to officially support retail RKL samples due to NDA (only QS/ES), which is why some Gigabyte owners get Code 69 post errors, and so on. And while Comet Lake support on Z590 should be solid in what I call "legacy" mode, it's still a new chipset, so expect errors on the windows side also. Look for chipset driver updates from Asus as well as windows updates to fix issues like this.

mi3zu69 wrote:
Hmm i finaly figured it out..this downclok is happening in Windows balanced power plan only.If i set High performance it doesnt happen and frequencies stay at 5 ghz.
Must be some window update that messed things up.

Is interesting how these is diferent and not on many cases. I sit with some, and use my cpu in z490 and colder in 5.0ghz and 1.30volts I manage to make 5 with the z590 e but use to much volts and bosd to much. is not the cpu i am sure 100%
Learn, Play Enjoy!

MrAgapiGC wrote:
Is interesting how these is diferent and not on many cases. I sit with some, and use my cpu in z490 and colder in 5.0ghz and 1.30volts I manage to make 5 with the z590 e but use to much volts and bosd to much. is not the cpu i am sure 100%

This is what I'm saying in my separate post too. 1.4V Adaptive on my Z490 PRIME-A got my 10700K to 5.2, 5.2, 5.2, 5.2, 5.1, 5.1, 5.1, 5.1 with 49x cache running manageable temps. On my STRIX Z590-E it won't even get to Windows desktop without using at least 1.58V Adaptive in BIOS??!! The temps and VCore in HWiNFO64 are similar though???

pdixon0 wrote:
This is what I'm saying in my separate post too. 1.4V Adaptive on my Z490 PRIME-A got my 10700K to 5.2, 5.2, 5.2, 5.2, 5.1, 5.1, 5.1, 5.1 with 49x cache running manageable temps. On my STRIX Z590-E it won't even get to Windows desktop without using at least 1.58V Adaptive in BIOS??!! The temps and VCore in HWiNFO64 are similar though???

Install the BETA Hwinfo 64 7.00-440
I think that make the fix. I get also odd on seeing these even on aida
The beta make these fix. Now, the bios still odd. (as normal ways to see the use of it. I have sit and check my 10850k on z490 and z590. Behave differently. Any whow, is what i got. i have to learn
Learn, Play Enjoy!

MrAgapiGC wrote:
Install the BETA Hwinfo 64 7.00-440
I think that make the fix. I get also odd on seeing these even on aida
The beta make these fix. Now, the bios still odd. (as normal ways to see the use of it. I have sit and check my 10850k on z490 and z590. Behave differently. Any whow, is what i got. i have to learn

Hi

Martin has confirmed that HWiNFO64 7.01-4425 is bugged for the STRIX Z590-E as it reads >2V for VCore, he says 7.00-4400 reads the correct voltage for this board.

MAngelBG
Level 7
Hello, I am in the same situation, the overclok with auto vcore or adaptive vcore does not work correctly if you do not enable the high performance status of the Windows power plan, if you do not enable the plan the cpu goes down at different frequencies without later going up more of the frequencies to which it has dropped, but if you enable it, it always stays at the frequency you have set, 5Ghz or xxGhz and that produces a high load of vcore and core cpu that considerably increases the heat.

On the coil whine on my board it is imperceptible, just literally sticking your ear against the heatsink you can hear a slight noise, but nothing annoying even for me who am very sensitive to noise.

The method that I have had to use for the windows power plans to work correctly is with Asus Ai Optimized, regulating AI settings in xx, xx, xx, all 5 GHZ on my i9 10850K, Adaptive Vcore, 1,280, LLC 6. TVB Disable. With this mixer if they work.

Hopefully it will be solved with some bios update.

Sorry for my English, I use the automatic translator of google.

mi3zu69 wrote:
Hello everyone,
I hope to find here some help with the issue i am facing on a ASUS z590 Hero and i had same issue on ASUS z590 Tuf Plus Wi-Fi.
I am tring to OC my 10700k CPU to a 5 ghz all core ,wich i had no issue for past 6 months on older Z490 Master at 1.3 v Turbo LLC,but after initial boot in windows at 5 ghz and a few minutes in Cinebench or CPU-Z stress test my CPU drops to 4800 or 4900 and never goes back to 5 Ghz.After a few runs of cinebench it drops to 4 ghz while under load.

MeCH70
Level 7
mi3zu69 wrote:
Hello everyone,

My situation is the same with ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming and 10900KF.

I hope the new bios will correct this issue as soon as possible.@Shamino, please help us! 🙂

MeCH70 wrote:
My situation is the same with ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming and 10900KF.

I hope the new bios will correct this issue as soon as possible.@Shamino, please help us! 🙂

try running this,
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1vr193c9zbrfpay/runthis.rar?dl=0
it will "max out all limits" again
see if it helps.