cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.5G Gaming Port Issue | Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000

BiggShooter
Level 7
Hoping for some help / troubleshooting steps in regards to the 2.5G Gaming port on the back of the Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX-11000. *

I just had my GT-AX11000 replaced under warranty, as LAN Port 4 was not working (no internet connection for devices connected to LAN Port 4). *Asus Support sent me a brand new (factory sealed) GT-AX11000. *Once I had the router configured (loaded most recent saved 'config' file), I decided to try the 2.5G Gaming Port. *I connected my Xbox Series X to the 2.5G Gaming Port on the back of the GT-AX11000 (using Cat7 Ethernet cable) and it connected and was working just fine. *After a few hours, I went back to my original configuration (Xbox Series X connected directly to modem). * *

This morning, I decided to go back to using the 2.5G Gaming Port. *Now, I'm not able to get an internet connection with my Xbox Series X plugged in to the 2.5G Gaming Port on the back of the GT-AX11000. *I've made no changes to any of the settings (as far as I can remember) since it was working the first time I had a successful connection. *

I sure hope the 2.5G Gaming Port hasn't failed! *Any suggestions or troubleshooting steps is much appreciated. *Thank You.*
18 REPLIES 18

Saltgrass
Level 13
When you say you loaded a saved Configuration file, that sort of messes things up. How do you know that file was not incorrect or corrupted?

Such things as the 2.5 port being set as the WAN port or using LAN 4 configured for Aggregation may be involved.

Maybe reset the router to its default settings and set it up again with just basic settings and do some testing. Is the xBox the only system involved? You seem to be, by changing from router to modem, changing your WAN configuration and possibly leaving one system in an unknown state in that regard.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
When you say you loaded a saved Configuration file, that sort of messes things up. How do you know that file was not incorrect or corrupted?

Such things as the 2.5 port being set as the WAN port or using LAN 4 configured for Aggregation may be involved.

Maybe reset the router to its default settings and set it up again with just basic settings and do some testing. Is the xBox the only system involved? You seem to be, by changing from router to modem, changing your WAN configuration and possibly leaving one system in an unknown state in that regard.

After a factory reset, I'm still not able to establish a connection using the 2.5G Gaming Port (LAN5) on the GT-AX11000. Frustrating, to say the least. This was a brand new / factory sealed GT-AX11000 sent from ASUS less than a week ago. This will be my second RMA (previous was 02/19) for the same issue (unable to establish internet connection via LAN5 / 2.5G Gaming Port - last time is was LAN4). :mad: Unless anyone has any other suggestions, I'm going to contact ASUS for an RMA.

Saltgrass
Level 13
Have you connected the port to anything beside the xBox? If it worked once but would not when you tried later, could the xBox need to be reset..?

Do you have a normal computer you could test? The xBox X seems to have a 1 Gb port.

Do you see any lights on any of the ports which show transmission rates and connectivity? I don't think they even have lights but just checking..

It is just such a coincidence, to me, that the two ports involved are used for the special configurations.

Hope you get it worked out.. Let us know..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
Have you connected the port to anything beside the xBox? If it worked once but would not when you tried later, could the xBox need to be reset..?

Do you have a normal computer you could test? The xBox X seems to have a 1 Gb port.

Do you see any lights on any of the ports which show transmission rates and connectivity? I don't think they even have lights but just checking..

It is just such a coincidence, to me, that the two ports involved are used for the special configurations.

Hope you get it worked out.. Let us know..

Yes, I connected two other known working connections (LAN1 - PlayStation 5 | LAN2 - Gaming PC) and WAS NOT able to establish an internet connection using the 2.5G Gaming Port (LAN5). The LED is not illuminating (white) / blinking (white) for the 2.5GE port when a device is connected to the 2.5G Gaming Port (LAN5). The STATUS tab in Network Map also displays LAN5 as 'Unplugged' for any device plugged in to the 2.5G Gaming Port (LAN5).

When I received the router from Asus on 02/28 and completed the set up / configuration, I was receiving an established connection when my Xbox Series X was plugged into the 2.5G Gaming Port (LAN5). I also confirmed the successful connection via the 2.5GE LED being illuminated (white) / blinking (white).

The initial RMA (02/19) was for LAN4 not being able to establish a connection. This time, it the 2.5G Gaming Port (LAN5) that I'm not able to establish a connection. Since I've performed just about all the troubleshooting steps I can think of, I am going to contact ASUS for another RMA. I'm guessing I'll receive another brand new / factory sealed Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000, and hopefully this will be the last of any issues.

**UPDATE**

I'm still seeing the same issue with the 2.5G Gaming Port (LAN5) showing 'Unplugged' when checking the status. This is the SECOND, brand new / factory sealed ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 router I've receive from ASUS through the RMA process.

ORIGINAL PURCHASE: 01/21/2020 - Amazon. LAN4 failed - No connection to internet when using LAN4

RMA - 02/19/2021 - ASUS. 2.5G Gaming Port (LAN5) failed - No connection to internet when using 2.5G Gaming Port (LAN5) - Received brand new / factory sealed GT-AX11000 on 02/28/2021

RMA - 03/07/2021 - ASUS. 2.5G Gaming Port (LAN5) failed. No connection to internet when using 2.5G Gaming Port (LAN5) - Received brand new / factory sealed GT-AX11000 on 03/17/2021

After setting up / configuring the GT-AX11000 earlier this morning, I'm now not getting an internet connection to any wired device(s) plugged into the 2.5G Gaming Port. Needless to say, I'm beyond frustrated at this point. I contacted ASUS Tech Support and they are escalating the issue to another Tier of Tech Support.

I'm wondering if the issue stems from five wired devices being connected to the back of the GT-AX11000, which causes the router to "fail" one of the LAN ports? Is anyone using all five LAN ports on the back of their GT-AX11000? This is the configuration I've been using when the 2.5G Gaming Port (LAN5) fails and shows the STATUS as 'Unplugged' when checking Network Map | System Status | Status.

LAN1 - PlayStation 5
LAN2 - Alienware Aurora R7 Gaming PC
LAN3 - Netgear 24-Port Gigabyte Ethernet Unmanaged Switch
LAN4 - Netgear 24-Port Gigabyte Ethernet Unmanaged Switch 2.5G Gaming Port (LAN5) - Xbox Series X

I appreciate any feedback / suggestions.

The 2.5G ports on this router is super picky on what it will connect to. I have a motherboard x570 crosshair viii hero wifi with a 2.5G port and it will not connect to this routers 2.5G port on motherboard unless I change speed&duplex in windows manually away from auto negotiation and to 1gbps; alternatively I can telnet into the router and chose speed & duplex for that specific port to be 1gbps and that will work and you can leave windows to auto negotiate. It will not connect at 2.5G. This routers 2.5G chipset is actually rated for 10gbp I believe but isnt able to configure into that mode.

That said 2.5G does work on both systems separately, but not together. In order to get 2.5G to work I was required to buy a 10gbps pcie network card for my computer which allowed it to work fine. It is likely a routers driver issues, Ive had this router GT-AX11000 RMAd once already at first had hardware revision 2 then got back revision 1, and frankly feel ripped off.

This is the pcie network card I ordered that works for my situation. Asus XG-C100C 10G Network Adapter PCI-E x4 Card with Single RJ-45 Port https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B072N84DG6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_6V8PNGCNNJW57Z1E752S?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

BTW I use CAT 8 Cables.

Saltgrass
Level 13
A problem I have with this thread is I don't have the capability for high speed data transfers to check the operation. On my system, I was able to get a 1.4 Gbps transfer from an AX Wi-Fi through the 2.5 Gbps router port to a 5 Gbps Ethernet port on my computer.

The LAN 1 port is a gaming port and as such is given priority over the other ports. This may be manageable in the router interface but perhaps it is involved since you seem to have two gaming systems.

Further confusion is introduced with the capability of Dual WAN configuration settings regarding use of the 2.5 and/or Lan 4 ports. I have no experience with unmanaged switches such as a 24 port version. Maybe the router just can't handle such a load.. Have you calculated what data transfer rates you are getting from each of those 24 ports?
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
A problem I have with this thread is I don't have the capability for high speed data transfers to check the operation. On my system, I was able to get a 1.4 Gbps transfer from an AX Wi-Fi through the 2.5 Gbps router port to a 5 Gbps Ethernet port on my computer.

The LAN 1 port is a gaming port and as such is given priority over the other ports. This may be manageable in the router interface but perhaps it is involved since you seem to have two gaming systems.

Further confusion is introduced with the capability of Dual WAN configuration settings regarding use of the 2.5 and/or Lan 4 ports. I have no experience with unmanaged switches such as a 24 port version. Maybe the router just can't handle such a load.. Have you calculated what data transfer rates you are getting from each of those 24 ports?

I believe the 2.5G Gaming Port on the GT-AX11000 is LAN 5, and it does have priority over other ports. Just to reiterate, I worked upon the initial set up | router configuration w/o any issues. Now, it's failed and nothing I plug into the port will establish a connection to the internet. I'm using CAT7 cables. I've even tried to use the 2.5G Gaming Port as the WAN port, and it won't establish a connection.

I do have a "open ticket" with ASUS tech support that has been escalated to the next tier tech support. Hopefully I can get some answers tomorrow (Monday). I contacted tech support on late Wednesday evening. I can't imagine I've been so lucky to receive two bad routers that arrived brand new / factory sealed. I do think there is an issue with the 2.5G Gaming Port (LAN5) when LAN1 - LAN4 are being utilized.

I'm going to ask ASUS if they will send me the AXE-GT11000 to see if I can replicate the same issue as I've experienced with the last two GT-AX11000 routers I've received.

Saltgrass
Level 13
Because you asked, I put a device on all of the ports and the 2.5 Gbps continued to function. But I had no where near the load you seem to have on yours.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200