cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this normal, CPU and DRAM LEDs during boot cycle twice. Maximus XI Hero Wifi

orlandofuriosoo
Level 7
During booting, i noticed my LEDS would light up the following way, CPU First, Then DRAM 1 or 2 seconds later cpu again then dram then finally vga and post. Boots fine after that. However i noticed lately that sometimes when restarting especially right after boot it will light up cpu dram at least 5 or 6 times before finally posting and then the bios safemode message will appear. not sure if that has something to do with BIOS 1802. Happens only when i restart right away and only after a few restarts not nessessarily all the time. The majority of the time though the motherboard boots fine with the two cycles of CPU to DRAM and normal boot. I do have my XMP 1 profile on. I added a video of how it normally boots.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AhFCnJcoDCufvQ7B3DwBB4OZxuxA?e=CCwnFR
3 REPLIES 3

orlandofuriosoo
Level 7
with xmp off it cycles once and posts quicker so maybe it is normal ? memory setting up the xmp profile during boot up?

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello, yes, when the system is overclocked, depending on the system configuration the system may conduct multiple power cycles in order to complete POST.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Hello, yes, when the system is overclocked, depending on the system configuration the system may conduct multiple power cycles in order to complete POST.

Ok cool thats what i figured,

Just to confirm, im not talking about cold boot where i shut off the psu completly or first enable xmp when the power goes off completely for a second and back on , This is a regular windows reset where i noticed the cpu light goes on then dram and then back to cpu and back to dram. It doesnt do it with xmp off so im guessing its the training like you said. Just after noticing the bios going into safe mode randomly " if i reset the pc about 2-3 times" im just noticing it now. Majority of my start ups and reboots though are fine

Just wanted to report to since im not sure if this is a known issue with bios 1802, If i leave my pc on for awhile or at least about say longer than 5-10 min i can reset / shut down no issue. if i do it about 2-3min after logging on "specifically right after i notice the XTU service start in the event viewer" then i can reproduce it. Ill see the cpu and dram go back anf forth about 5 or 6 cycles until finally it posts and then the bios safe mode message pops up.

wondering if anyone else with bios 1802 can reproduce this as well or if its just a memory instability from resetting numourous times.

Also the event 137 isssue ive read people report on this forum i have as well and notcied after the last bios update 1702. After waking from sleep. Just pops up in the event viewer as an error, no effect on anything else