cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What thickness of thermal pads for ROG STRIX 3090 OC

Tarv_
Level 7
I am going to replace the thermal pads on my ROG STRIX 3090 OC as the memory temps are causing me thermal limiting.

What thickness of pads should I buy to replace all the thermal pads? 1mm, 2mm, etc? Gonna buy these from AMAZON.

Thermalright Thermal Pad 12.8 W/mK, 85x45x???mm

Thanks
13 REPLIES 13

pndiode
Level 11
The best way to fine out is to disassemble your graphics card and measure the thickest part of the thermal pad with a digital caliper. I contacted ASUS support for thermal pad thickness and was given the wrong information. In addition, if you do an internet search for your graphics card disassembly no one ever mentions thermal pad thickness.

i wanna do the same with my tuf 3090.

Please report back if you find out!

some people in reddit say 2mm, others say 1.5mm. ive seen people using stacked 1.5mm too.

Tarv_
Level 7
On the top side (with the GPU)
The pads covering the memory measured 1.8mm, so I used 2mm (1mm + 1mm stacked)
The pads on the silver VRM chips measured 2.4mm, so I used 2.5mm (1mm + 1.5mm stacked)
The pads on the black VRM chips measured 1.3mm, so I used 1.5mm pads.

On the back side (backplate)

I did not remove or measure anything else, as I ran out of thermal pads 😞
I have to order more and re-do the backplate. Frustrating (and not exactly cheap).

Tarv_ wrote:
On the top side (with the GPU)
The pads on the silver VRM chips measured 2.4mm, so I used 2.5mm (1mm + 1.5mm stacked)
The pads on the black VRM chips measured 1.3mm, so I used 1.5mm pads.

On the back side (backplate)

I did not remove or measure anything else, as I ran out of thermal pads 😞
I have to order more and re-do the backplate. Frustrating (and not exactly cheap).

Awesome thank you!!! How many packs do you need from each thickness and how much area does each pack cover? 8cm x 8cm?

Tarv_
Level 7
I'll update when I get more pads, but for sure the memory alone will take two 2mm packs. The packs I bought were 85mm x 45mm.

I honestly can't tell for sure, but you might also want to get 0.5mm packs to make it a bit thicker. My temps decreased a bit but not what I was expecting. I am going to replace the backplate memory pads as I was using scraps to finish it up.

Tarv_
Level 7
So I think the best course of action here would have been to just replace the memory pads. I ended up needing 2.5mm for the backplate but it could be because I changed the pads on the VRM causing a difference in height.

But to just do the memory, buy two packs of the 2mm and then buy two packs of the 0.5mm for backup in case you need the extra thickness.

Tarv_ wrote:
So I think the best course of action here would have been to just replace the memory pads. I ended up needing 2.5mm for the backplate but it could be because I changed the pads on the VRM causing a difference in height.

But to just do the memory, buy two packs of the 2mm and then buy two packs of the 0.5mm for backup in case you need the extra thickness.

I am waiting on my stuff to do this as well, did you end up replacing all the pads? Can you tell us your results?

Tarv_
Level 7
I did replace everything. Pictures are all new pads.
Results are better, but still in the mid 90's under full load.
I think replacing the VRM and other pads may have caused more variance in heights. I'm going to do a second card soon, and I'm planning to just do the memory pads using 2.0mm pads, increasing to 2.5mm if results are poor.

Thx for the results.

I get like 100-102 degrees with 85PL fans@100 mem:+1200 core:-200 with stock on the strix

Idk if thats around what you had prior to replacing the pads, but would you say its worth doing?