cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Older BIOS for the GX501?

dmayle
Level 7
Throttlestop no longer works on this laptop with any BIOS version 309 or later.

Please can someone advise on how I can downgrade my BIOS to 308 or earlier and where I can get the files for this?

The Asus Driver page only shows 310 and 311.

Since undervolting was disabled, my temps have gone from the 70s to the high 90s and I need to rectify it immediately.

If anyone can help, that would be great.
6 REPLIES 6

Pheebau
Level 7
dmayle wrote:

Please can someone advise on how I can downgrade my BIOS to 308 or earlier and where I can get the files for this?

Since Undervolting was disabled, my temps have gone from the 70s to the high 90s and I need to rectify it immediately.

I have the exact same issue - my system got auto-updated to bios 313 (GX501GIAS313) and ThrottleStop (i. e. undervolting) won't work anymore - this is a known issue with most recent bioses.

Would anyone have an older bios such as a GX501GI 307 bios so I can downgrade? I couldn't find any on the web and Asus removed all the former bioses from their website - really nice of them geez.

This would be extremely useful as my cpu temps are now at 94-96c where they were before at 84c max.

@dmayle Have you ever found one? Thanks

Posting this in a few threads to spread awareness:

I've found that the Windows Update catalog retains historic BIOS information along with other driver details for ours and many other machines. Somewhat expected but lesser known information I suppose.

Anyway I found out that the entries in the WU Cat ties to a supported hardware ID which is how they are delivered to your machines.

Using this I went into Device Manager then expanded "Firmware" then opened object "System Firmware"

I then went to the "Details" tab and selected "Matching device ID" in the drop down.With the value in view, I right clicked the entry and selected copy.

Afterwards I went too https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx and pasted in the copied hardware ID into the search bar. I could then see all the BIOS updates suitable for my machine.

BigJohnny
Level 13
You will have to find the BIOS file first. Then you can run the BIOS flash tool from the CMD prompt with admin privileges adding /nodate to the cmd line.

BigJohnny wrote:
You will have to find the BIOS file first. Then you can run the BIOS flash tool from the CMD prompt with admin privileges adding /nodate to the cmd line.

Yes I know thanks. That's why I was asking if someone has the former bios (file) that they would be willing to share.

Pheebau
Level 7

Sebastianravera
Level 7
dmayle wrote:

Since undervolting was disabled, my temps have gone from the 70s to the high 90s and I need to rectify it immediately.

?
hola , soy nuevo en esto, yo consegui la bios de gx501gl pero windows la actualiza luego de prenderla un par de veces, alguna solucion? Si la hay , subire el archivo de bios.