New ROGer Array

New Strix Z590-E Dead M.2 slot?

Just got a new Strix Z590-E Gaming Wifi board. Installed an i9-10850k. 4 M.2 slots. M2_1 slot is disabled for 10th Gen. Only works with 11th Gen. Installed working NVMe drive in M2_2 slot but not detected. Tried M2_3 and M2_4 slots and it works fine. Tried 2 seperate NVMe drives.
    I'm not sure if I have a bad board or there is some setting in the bios. Nothing I can find.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by BamaInArk View Post
    Just got a new Strix Z590-E Gaming Wifi board. Installed an i9-10850k. 4 M.2 slots. M2_1 slot is disabled for 10th Gen. Only works with 11th Gen. Installed working NVMe drive in M2_2 slot but not detected. Tried M2_3 and M2_4 slots and it works fine. Tried 2 seperate NVMe drives.
    I'm not sure if I have a bad board or there is some setting in the bios. Nothing I can find.
    Hi.
    Two of the m.2 slots are from the CPU and two are from the chipset.
    The CPU lanes are shared with the PCIE Express graphics slots, so you need to actually enable the CPU to "bifurcate" those lanes, so they are not enabled by default. This will take lanes from your video card or potentially disable the second X16.

Go to onboard devices configuration.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
    Hi.
    The CPU lanes are shared with the PCIE Express graphics slots, so you need to actually enable the CPU to "bifurcate" those lanes, so they are not enabled by default. This will take lanes from your video card or potentially disable the second X16.

Thanks. That was it. I saw those settings during my search for a solution but wasn't quite sure of the settings. I was aware of the 2 slots on the CPU and the 2 on the Chipset. I'll have to dig a little deeper to understand. I was just testing the board/cpu combo on a test bench using only the iGPU so no Graphics Card installed.
    AMD seems to have a better lead on this.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
    Hi.

Do you know the specific setting? I went through the bios, and wasn't able to find it.
    Thanks.

New ROGer Array EncodeGR PC Specs
    EncodeGR PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Maximus XIII Hero
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-11700K
    Memory (part number)Kingston HyperX Predator RGB 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3600MHz CL17 Memory Kit - Black (HX436C17PB4AK4/32)
    Graphics Card #1MSI GTX 1070Ti Gaming X 8GB
    Sound CardCreative Sound Blaster Z
    MonitorDell Ultrasharp U2520D 25" QHD IPS
    Storage #1Samsung 980 Pro M.2 Nvme PCIe 4.0, 500 GB
    Storage #2Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 Nvme PCIe 3.0, 1 TB
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-U12A
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass - Black
    Power SupplyAsus ROG Thor 850W Platinum
    Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL Lightspeed, Tactile
    Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
    Headset Sennheiser Game-Zero Headset
    Mouse Pad Asus ROG Sheath XL
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z333 2.1 Speakers
    OS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Accessory #1 Noctua NF-A14 PWM (x6)
    Accessory #2 Phanteks Halos Lux
    Accessory #3 Phanteks Neon Digital-Rgb

Advanced -> Onboard Devices Configuration -> CPU PCIE Configuration Mode

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by EncodeGR View Post
    Advanced -> Onboard Devices Configuration -> CPU PCIE Configuration Mode
    Thanks, appreciated!

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by BamaInArk View Post
    M.2 to PCIe adapter would be helpful too.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array MrAgapiGC PC Specs
    MrAgapiGC PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Maximus XI Code
    Processor9900K
    Memory (part number)CMK32GX4M4B3600C18
    Graphics Card #1STRIX-GTX1080ti-O8G-GAMING
    MonitorAOC AGON AG2701QX (2)
    Storage #1Samsung 960 EVO 256GB
    Storage #2Kingston Savage 500GB
    CPU CoolerNzxt X74 360mm AIO
    CaseNzxt H700
    Power SupplyEVGA 850 G2
    Keyboard Logitech G810
    Mouse Asus Spartha
    Headset Hyper X Cloud Revolver S
    Mouse Pad Hyper X Fury S 900mx420mm
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z337
    OS Windows 10 64btis
    Network RouterTpLink Archer C9
    Accessory #1 EKWB FANs all of them

The m2-2 is active only when you make on bios. That is shared with PCIe 1 and 2. Since use the cpu same as yours, PCIe drops to 8x. The manual does not say but it does on the hero. I have no idea if 11th intel is on use will be better. Since manual is clear on hero. Now I working on the new bios since was push today and as far is worst. I can not see 5.0 on auto and I think my cpu is one of those with bad luck since SP is 56points since is related on temps I can start working on thermal paste and since test are up there is nothing wrong with cpu "intel notes on test" I am new on the se platform is a new learning curve
    Learn, Play Enjoy!

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by MrAgapiGC View Post
    The m2-2 is active only when you make on bios. That is shared with PCIe 1 and 2. Since use the cpu same as yours, PCIe drops to 8x. The manual does not say but it does on the hero. I have no idea if 11th intel is on use will be better. Since manual is clear on hero. Now I working on the new bios since was push today and as far is worst. I can not see 5.0 on auto and I think my cpu is one of those with bad luck since SP is 56points since is related on temps I can start working on thermal paste and since test are up there is nothing wrong with cpu "intel notes on test" I am new on the se platform is a new learning curve
    Doesn't z590 have 20 PCIe 4.0 lanes? That's 4 for the M2 SSD, and 16 for the GPU card. You should be able to use both at the same time, and get 16x on the GPU - right?

ROG Enthusiast Array

Lol, no.