cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Strix Z590-E Dead M.2 slot?

BamaInArk
Level 7
Just got a new Strix Z590-E Gaming Wifi board. Installed an i9-10850k. 4 M.2 slots. M2_1 slot is disabled for 10th Gen. Only works with 11th Gen. Installed working NVMe drive in M2_2 slot but not detected. Tried M2_3 and M2_4 slots and it works fine. Tried 2 seperate NVMe drives.
I'm not sure if I have a bad board or there is some setting in the bios. Nothing I can find.
17 REPLIES 17

Falkentyne
Level 12
BamaInArk wrote:
Just got a new Strix Z590-E Gaming Wifi board. Installed an i9-10850k. 4 M.2 slots. M2_1 slot is disabled for 10th Gen. Only works with 11th Gen. Installed working NVMe drive in M2_2 slot but not detected. Tried M2_3 and M2_4 slots and it works fine. Tried 2 seperate NVMe drives.
I'm not sure if I have a bad board or there is some setting in the bios. Nothing I can find.

Hi.
Two of the m.2 slots are from the CPU and two are from the chipset.
The CPU lanes are shared with the PCIE Express graphics slots, so you need to actually enable the CPU to "bifurcate" those lanes, so they are not enabled by default. This will take lanes from your video card or potentially disable the second X16.

Go to onboard devices configuration.

Falkentyne wrote:
Hi.
The CPU lanes are shared with the PCIE Express graphics slots, so you need to actually enable the CPU to "bifurcate" those lanes, so they are not enabled by default. This will take lanes from your video card or potentially disable the second X16.

Thanks. That was it. I saw those settings during my search for a solution but wasn't quite sure of the settings. I was aware of the 2 slots on the CPU and the 2 on the Chipset. I'll have to dig a little deeper to understand. I was just testing the board/cpu combo on a test bench using only the iGPU so no Graphics Card installed.
AMD seems to have a better lead on this.

Falkentyne wrote:
Hi.

Do you know the specific setting? I went through the bios, and wasn't able to find it.
Thanks.

Advanced -> Onboard Devices Configuration -> CPU PCIE Configuration Mode

EncodeGR wrote:
Advanced -> Onboard Devices Configuration -> CPU PCIE Configuration Mode

Thanks, appreciated!

Will bifurcating the lanes cause worse performance for the graphics slots?

ThomasRhin
Level 7
BamaInArk wrote:

M.2 to PCIe adapter would be helpful too.

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
The m2-2 is active only when you make on bios. That is shared with PCIe 1 and 2. Since use the cpu same as yours, PCIe drops to 8x. The manual does not say but it does on the hero. I have no idea if 11th intel is on use will be better. Since manual is clear on hero. Now I working on the new bios since was push today and as far is worst. I can not see 5.0 on auto and I think my cpu is one of those with bad luck since SP is 56points since is related on temps I can start working on thermal paste and since test are up there is nothing wrong with cpu "intel notes on test" I am new on the se platform is a new learning curve
Learn, Play Enjoy!

MrAgapiGC wrote:
The m2-2 is active only when you make on bios. That is shared with PCIe 1 and 2. Since use the cpu same as yours, PCIe drops to 8x. The manual does not say but it does on the hero. I have no idea if 11th intel is on use will be better. Since manual is clear on hero. Now I working on the new bios since was push today and as far is worst. I can not see 5.0 on auto and I think my cpu is one of those with bad luck since SP is 56points since is related on temps I can start working on thermal paste and since test are up there is nothing wrong with cpu "intel notes on test" I am new on the se platform is a new learning curve

Doesn't z590 have 20 PCIe 4.0 lanes? That's 4 for the M2 SSD, and 16 for the GPU card. You should be able to use both at the same time, and get 16x on the GPU - right?