Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    New ROGer Array

An update on this:

I've tried the suggestions in this thread without success (success being able to run the memory in dual channel). I updated the bios to 0605 without first updating to 0610. I'm not sure the sequence of bios releases and the naming convention. If it is safe for me to try 0610 (assuming it's newer than 0605), I'll do that. 0605 has a lot of firmware updates.

I again tried 2 DIMMs in dual channel using A2 and B2 which failed with code 55 with the memory at 2133Mhz. It also doesn't work with the XMP profile.
    I re-seated the CPU without effect. I did see that the bios identified a new CPU was installed, but that's probably due to removing the CPU. I inspected the CPU pins on the MB and they look fine. Seems pretty unlikely that the CPU isn't seated correctly.

With regard to the question of the memory itself, this is the description. I bought 2 identical kits. They worked fine in a Maximus X Hero. I tested each DIMM individually and they're fine.
    G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 4133MHz (PC4 33000) Desktop Memory Model F4-4133C19D-16GTZR

I'm hesitant to buy new memory from the QVL if the problem really isn't the memory.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Legolas PC Specs
    Legolas PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus X Hero Wifi AC
    ProcessorIntel Core i7 8600k oc 5Ghz
    Memory (part number)Samsung DDR4 16GB
    Graphics Card #1ASUS NVIDIA GTX 1080
    MonitorASUS MS246
    Storage #1Samsung MZVPV256
    Storage #2Samsung MZVPV256
    CPU CoolerCorsair H110I v2
    Power SupplyPC 1200W Turbo-Cool 1200
    Keyboard ASUS SK2045

Hello Micas,

I think you have to test each memory to find out if it is defective or not. Please install each memory at A2 and download memtest86 - https://www.memtest86.com/ find out if there are any errors and repeat same test for the rest of the modules.
    Last edited by Legolas; 03-25-2021 at 11:20 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Legolas

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Micas View Post
    An update on this:

I've tried the suggestions in this thread without success (success being able to run the memory in dual channel). I updated the bios to 0605 without first updating to 0610. I'm not sure the sequence of bios releases and the naming convention. If it is safe for me to try 0610 (assuming it's newer than 0605), I'll do that. 0605 has a lot of firmware updates.

I again tried 2 DIMMs in dual channel using A2 and B2 which failed with code 55 with the memory at 2133Mhz. It also doesn't work with the XMP profile.
    I re-seated the CPU without effect. I did see that the bios identified a new CPU was installed, but that's probably due to removing the CPU. I inspected the CPU pins on the MB and they look fine. Seems pretty unlikely that the CPU isn't seated correctly.

With regard to the question of the memory itself, this is the description. I bought 2 identical kits. They worked fine in a Maximus X Hero. I tested each DIMM individually and they're fine.
    G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 4133MHz (PC4 33000) Desktop Memory Model F4-4133C19D-16GTZR

I'm hesitant to buy new memory from the QVL if the problem really isn't the memory.
    ASUS has just published the newest 0703 beta BIOS . Maybe you can give it a try. Or you can try 1 DIMM first to boot to BIOS. Configure the CAS latency to higher value(for example CL=18) and save it. If sucessful boot ,then install another DIMM for dual channel mode.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Legolas View Post
    Hello Micas,

I think you have to test each memory to find out if it is defective or not. Please install each memory at A2 and download memtest86 - https://www.memtest86.com/ find out if there are any errors and repeat same test for the rest of the modules.
    I installed bios 0703 and tried again. It's still not working. It's quite an odd situation.

I tried the simplest thing first. I tried all 4 DIMMs in A2 alone, which resulted in a post code 55. Then I tried all 4 in A1, again 55. Then I tried one DIMM in B1 and it posted fine. With 1 DIMM in A2, the MB seems to realize that there is a DIMM installed as it cycles through a bunch of numbers. When there are no DIMMs, it goes straight to 55.

I don't know what to make of that. A1 and A2 are failing while B1 and B2 work. Is it really possible that the CPU isn't installed correctly, causing A1 and A2 to malfunction? That a DIMM works in B1 and B2 would seem to indicate the memory is compatible. Everything else with the system works properly. It's just A1 and A2 can't seem to sync up with the installed DIMM.

Very much appreciate the advice.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Micas View Post
    I installed bios 0703 and tried again. It's still not working. It's quite an odd situation.

I tried the simplest thing first. I tried all 4 DIMMs in A2 alone, which resulted in a post code 55. Then I tried all 4 in A1, again 55. Then I tried one DIMM in B1 and it posted fine. With 1 DIMM in A2, the MB seems to realize that there is a DIMM installed as it cycles through a bunch of numbers. When there are no DIMMs, it goes straight to 55.

I don't know what to make of that. A1 and A2 are failing while B1 and B2 work. Is it really possible that the CPU isn't installed correctly, causing A1 and A2 to malfunction? That a DIMM works in B1 and B2 would seem to indicate the memory is compatible. Everything else with the system works properly. It's just A1 and A2 can't seem to sync up with the installed DIMM.

Very much appreciate the advice.
    Please carefully remove the CPU and inspect both the bottom of the CPU and the socket pins for both damage and foreign material residue. Even if the pins are not bent, artifacts or any kind of foreign particles or substance sitting somewhere can cause problems with training. I had a problem like this with my retail 10900k and Z490 Aorus Master until I very carefully cleaned the entire bottom of the CPU and made sure the socket was free of random thermal paste remnants, then the training worked perfectly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2