cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z590 & Memory Support

Micas
Level 7
Hello all,

I've just completed building a new system with the Maximus XIII Hero, and I'm having a problem with the memory. I'm using the same kit that worked with the Maximus X. It is 4 DIMMs of G.Skill F4-4133C19-8GTZR. It's not on the QVL list, but similar to G.Skill parts which are on the list. The issue is that the memory works when using 2 DIMMs in single channel, but when trying dual channel, the system fails to post with a code 55. That happens with both standard timings and XMP 1. I've tried all the currently available bios' with the same result. The CPU is a 10700K.

Is there some solution to getting it to work, or will I need to buy a new kit of memory? Quite a bit of cost associated with that. Thanks in advance.
15 REPLIES 15

EncodeGR
Level 9
Hey there, do you have the latest bios flashed ?
Try flashing or even re-flashing (0402) bios, and the do a cmos clear.

I've not had any success getting the memory to work in dual channel. It doesn't appear that the bios allows re-flashing 0402. Clearing CMOS doesn't help. I've tested each stick individually and they work fine, both standard timings and XMP 1. It works with 2 DIMMS in single channel. It's really quite baffling.

I could buy a new kit from the QVL list, but if there is a flaw in the motherboard, it would be wasted money. The memory should work in dual channel. I have no idea what to do now.

Lotzi
Level 7

Lotzi wrote:
Try this Bios Version from here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t8l30zudba0amrk/ROG-MAXIMUS-XIII-HERO-ASUS-0610.rar?dl=0

Is this another Beta Bios (0610) for Maximus XIII Hero ?

I wouldn't recommend flashing anything that is not officially confirmed by ASUS. I mean i don't know, could be just fine. It's just... Last time i tried to upgrade from Bios (0402) and flash the Beta Bios (0603) it completely broke my computer, couldn't even post and had to do a roll back to 0402 with Flashback.

Just set RTT_PARK for both channels at 240 and it will work perfectly. Ignore the qvl. I am running 4600mhz 4x8 cl18 on my Z390E gaming with vccio/sa at 1.225 on a 9900k. It is found in BIOS-> Dram timings-> Skew control. And don't flash older BIOS for no reason.

Lotzi wrote:
Try this Bios Version from here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t8l30zudba0amrk/ROG-MAXIMUS-XIII-HERO-ASUS-0610.rar?dl=0

I've flashed this BIOS and the MB runs great. It updates a lot of stuff inside the MB. Can i ask how did you find this updated version of BIOS ?
It doesnt appear in the official support pages of the ASUS website.

An update on this:

I've tried the suggestions in this thread without success (success being able to run the memory in dual channel). I updated the bios to 0605 without first updating to 0610. I'm not sure the sequence of bios releases and the naming convention. If it is safe for me to try 0610 (assuming it's newer than 0605), I'll do that. 0605 has a lot of firmware updates.

I again tried 2 DIMMs in dual channel using A2 and B2 which failed with code 55 with the memory at 2133Mhz. It also doesn't work with the XMP profile.
I re-seated the CPU without effect. I did see that the bios identified a new CPU was installed, but that's probably due to removing the CPU. I inspected the CPU pins on the MB and they look fine. Seems pretty unlikely that the CPU isn't seated correctly.

With regard to the question of the memory itself, this is the description. I bought 2 identical kits. They worked fine in a Maximus X Hero. I tested each DIMM individually and they're fine.
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 4133MHz (PC4 33000) Desktop Memory Model F4-4133C19D-16GTZR

I'm hesitant to buy new memory from the QVL if the problem really isn't the memory.

Micas wrote:
An update on this:

I've tried the suggestions in this thread without success (success being able to run the memory in dual channel). I updated the bios to 0605 without first updating to 0610. I'm not sure the sequence of bios releases and the naming convention. If it is safe for me to try 0610 (assuming it's newer than 0605), I'll do that. 0605 has a lot of firmware updates.

I again tried 2 DIMMs in dual channel using A2 and B2 which failed with code 55 with the memory at 2133Mhz. It also doesn't work with the XMP profile.
I re-seated the CPU without effect. I did see that the bios identified a new CPU was installed, but that's probably due to removing the CPU. I inspected the CPU pins on the MB and they look fine. Seems pretty unlikely that the CPU isn't seated correctly.

With regard to the question of the memory itself, this is the description. I bought 2 identical kits. They worked fine in a Maximus X Hero. I tested each DIMM individually and they're fine.
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 4133MHz (PC4 33000) Desktop Memory Model F4-4133C19D-16GTZR

I'm hesitant to buy new memory from the QVL if the problem really isn't the memory.

ASUS has just published the newest 0703 beta BIOS . Maybe you can give it a try. Or you can try 1 DIMM first to boot to BIOS. Configure the CAS latency to higher value(for example CL=18) and save it. If sucessful boot ,then install another DIMM for dual channel mode.

Lotzi
Level 7
The Bios 0610 runs much smoother then other ones