cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which m.2 slots are my SSDs installed in

tincanalley
Level 7
Okay, this might be a lame question, but I need to know how to identify which NVME is installed in which m.2 slot. On my maximus XI extreme I installed 2 Samsung EVO Plus 500GBs in the DIMM.2 and installed Windows 10 on one and formatted the other and made a data storage drive. I now want to clone the data drive and upgrade it with a 2TB module and then install two more 2TB modules in the slots on the MB. My only issue is I can't seem to find anything on how to identify where the data module is inside the DIMM.2. It might just be me missing something in bios or windows, but I don't see it.

So is there a way? I don't want to take apart the DIMM.2 and yank one to find out.

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

Jesseinsf
Level 10
tincanalley wrote:
Okay, this might be a lame question, but I need to know how to identify which NVME is installed in which m.2 slot. On my maximus XI extreme I installed 2 Samsung EVO Plus 500GBs in the DIMM.2 and installed Windows 10 on one and formatted the other and made a data storage drive. I now want to clone the data drive and upgrade it with a 2TB module and then install two more 2TB modules in the slots on the MB. My only issue is I can't seem to find anything on how to identify where the data module is inside the DIMM.2. It might just be me missing something in bios or windows, but I don't see it.

So is there a way? I don't want to take apart the DIMM.2 and yank one to find out.

Thanks

If you go to the motherboard support page, you will find the manual which gives a detailed layout of the motherboard. I will give you a hint: in that detailed diagram you will be able to tell the difference if you see or don't see the NVMe protrude out from under the heatsink on the right side of the PCIe slots, between PCIEX16_2 and PCIEX16_3.

Jesseinsf,

Where is the motherboard support page? I can't find it.

Thanks!

Question: I got 3 firecudas. Can I just put them in m.2-1,2, and 3 or am I better off performance wise to put two in the dimm and the third in the. 2 position? I will only have a video card installed.