cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus XII Apex (Z490) Flashback light won't turn on, can't boot

Falconeer5
Level 7
Something is seriously amiss with my mobo. I can't switch from bios a, the flashback light won't turn on when I try to flash bios. I've removed ram, gpu, unplugged everything except the panel buttons and power (my system drive is an M.2 NVMe that's still installed). I've tried power off at the psu, unplugging psu, removing cmos battery for ten minutes, nada.

I've already had to RMA this board once (was my fault, nothing against Asus) and I'd hate to have to try RMAing again.

Any help would be most appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
I assume you have done this before and know of the naming convention for the BIOS file.

Only thing I can suggest that you didn't mention to try is to reflash your current BIOS with an official BIOS using EZupdate.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

Correct, I used the renamer program and ensured the file is at the root of the usb.

I can't get into bios so can't use ezupdate.

Is your usb drive properly formated ? (FAT32)

Falconeer5 wrote:
Correct, I used the renamer program and ensured the file is at the root of the usb.

I can't get into bios so can't use ezupdate.

Oh, you can't even boot your computer? Maybe RMA time, sorry. Read text not thread title.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

lLegendaary
Level 9
Hello ,

Does your motherboard LED/Qreader ON ? or just everything without power ?
rest everything [ unplug then plug everything ]

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
Yeah, if the motherboard is getting power, maybe the flashback LED is dead. You could try pressing it , then waiting 5 minutes just to make sure.

geneo wrote:
Yeah, if the motherboard is getting power, maybe the flashback LED is dead. You could try pressing it , then waiting 5 minutes just to make sure.

It's harder that QLED defective without reason .

Saltgrass
Level 13
Could I just verify what you are attempting?

You put the renamed Bios update on the flash drive and plug it into the correct USB port while the system is shut down.

You then hold the Bios Flashback button for three seconds until the light blinks 3 times. The Clear CMOS light is the only light on on the back.

If the system has two Bios chips, does it make a difference as to which one is chosen for booting?

If the Bios update fails or leaves the system in an inoperable state, it can be recovered using the special CrashFree utility..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200