cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus Extreme XIII and NVLINK Bridge?

Daxterbeer
Level 7
Has ASUS forgotten the Maximus Extreme XIII (not the glacial one.) I am planning on a 3090 NVLINK build but I only see Strix, TUF and Heroes but not the Extreme. Also on the side note, will ASUS be making an NVLINK bridge for their 3090s?
8 REPLIES 8

Braegnok
Level 14
Daxterbeer wrote:
Has ASUS forgotten the Maximus Extreme XIII (not the glacial one.) I am planning on a 3090 NVLINK build but I only see Strix, TUF and Heroes but not the Extreme. Also on the side note, will ASUS be making an NVLINK bridge for their 3090s?

Hello, the Z590 Extreme boards will be releasing soon, as will the Apex.

A few things however you need to consider before buying, if your planning on running RTX 3090 NVLINK.

Currently the only 30-series NVLINK bridges available are 80mm 4-slot spacing.

The Z590 Glacial board has 4-slot spacing. Side by side comparison with Z590 Extreme board shows more than 4-slot spacing on Extreme board, so NVLINK will not work without PCIe 4.0 X16 Riser Cables. Do you have room in your chassis for two RTX 3090 cards & Riser Cables.

Also on the side note, I can imagine an Asus RD meeting discussing the market demand, sales, and profit margins for ROG 30-series NVLINK, I would lean towards production not getting a green light.

Braegnok wrote:
Hello, the Z590 Extreme boards will be releasing soon, as will the Apex.

A few things however you need to consider before buying, if your planning on running RTX 3090 NVLINK.

Currently the only 30-series NVLINK bridges available are 80mm 4-slot spacing.

The Z590 Glacial board has 4-slot spacing. Side by side comparison with Z590 Extreme board shows more than 4-slot spacing on Extreme board, so NVLINK will not work without PCIe 4.0 X16 Riser Cables. Do you have room in your chassis for two RTX 3090 cards & Riser Cables.

Also on the side note, I can imagine an Asus RD meeting discussing the market demand, sales, and profit margins for ROG 30-series NVLINK, I would lean towards production not getting a green light.

I think you said it wrong. 4 way spacing the way they say is when you have 3 empty slots in between your pcie slots kinda like this:

PCIE x16
-
-
-
PCIE x16

Three way spacing would be 2 empty slots in between

PCIE x16
-
-
PCIE x16

An M.2 slot would be same as a slot. The gaps have to be eyeballed.

Daxterbeer wrote:
I think you said it wrong. 4 way spacing the way they say is when you have 3 empty slots in between your pcie slots kinda like this:

PCIE x16
-
-
-
PCIE x16

Three way spacing would be 2 empty slots in between

PCIE x16
-
-
PCIE x16

An M.2 slot would be same as a slot. The gaps have to be eyeballed.

OK,.. 80mm is still 80mm regardless of how you eyeball it.

Braegnok wrote:

if your gamers , just don't just listen one time
this will be big mistake
.waste of money .

Braegnok wrote:

And you are still wrong, because the Glacial has 3 slot spacing, while the regular Extreme has the 4 slot spacing.

I agree totally wrong, looks like you and Daxterbeer are correct. My bad.

Thanks, glad you cleared that up, found this image on Asus ROG NVLINK spacing, which matches what you guys are saying.

lLegendaary
Level 9
for me woudn't go for Nvlink cuz it does not exist " just fake names "
Won't boost your performance wont boost anything just making your game running with more crashes i have suffering with 3090 before i woudn't recomend any kind of nvlink sli atm.

Let them focus on their profit as i see prices goes high " becuase of -corona -china-BTC everything they can argument it ".

I just want to be honest with you dont waste another 1900$ for bring nvlink if your only gamers if there is real purposes then yeah go for it.

This motherboard listed above one with watercooling cost around 1600$ so it's not twice it could be 4x double than cpu price why not wait alder-lake coming in SEP so x299 will be end soon .

AlderLake would be good point to buy cuz : PCIE 5.0 - UNLIMITED NVME could be 4x5 nvme idk .
Lanes could be 60 ...
so i would not buy 11900 with 8 cores for nvlink i can see intel are strunggling atm to fight with AMD

In warzone and most games u need +Cores not +25%IPS
and please note that the latency for the cpu around 60 ns 50ns
while 10900k 10cores 45ns.

Ataemonus
Level 11
Either way, NVLink is sort of pointless in itself. Even more so with the current prices of GPUs that support NVLink, let alone availability 🙂