cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to install Samsung NVMe drivers on SAMSUNG 980 PRO 1TB SSD Win10

dano27146502
Level 7
When I try to install the driver, it says it can't find it and tells me to plug it in and run the driver again.

I tried installing it both before and after I cloned the drive and running Win10 from the SSD.

I also tried installing the firmware update and it said the same thing.

Currently has Microsoft drivers and shows Standard NVM Express Controller in Device Manager.

I then ran Magician and it said I had the current firmware.

I read where it suggested to change AHCI to IDE and try installing the drivers, but my motherboard only has AHCI and Raid choices.

Has anyone encountered this before? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Driver and firmware were downloaded from Samsung website today and I verified they were for the 980 Pro.

Samsung 980 PRO 1TB PCIe NVMe Gen4 M.2 (MZ-V8P1T0B)
TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
Ryzen 5 3600

5 REPLIES 5

EncodeGR
Level 9
There is no Samsung NVMe driver for the 980 Pro. At least Samsung hasn't released any, as it runs fine with the Standard NVMe one.
I personally use the standard one, with no problems whatsoever.

However, if you wish to use the 970 NVMe driver for the 980 Pro, you can, but you have to install it manually (using the .inf file)
The 970 NVMe driver can be found here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?118057-DRIVERS-Samsung-NVMe
Lastly, AHCI is fine.

dano27146502
Level 7
Thank you, I won't worry about installing the driver then.

I read some articles and watched some YouTube videos, does it matter that I have it in the M.2_1 socket or does it need to be in the M.2_2 socket?
I only have the one and it's the boot drive.

Just curious, articles were conflicting.

Jesseinsf
Level 10
I'm not sure how it works on AMD or Intel systems with PCIe 4.0, but for my Intel system (PCIe 3.0) I forced installed the Samsung NVMe drivers. I get way better performance with the NVMe drivers. Has anyone else tried this on PCIe Gen 4 systems?

Force install Instructions (Install at your own risk):

· You need Winrar or compatible .rar extractor
· Go to Here to download and extract the drivers
· Open Device manager, find and right click the generic drivers for the 980 Pro
· Choose Update Driver
· Choose “Browse my computer for drivers”
· Choose the “Let me pick from a list” option
· Uncheck “Show compatible drivers”
· Click on “Have Disk”
· Locate the driver that you extracted and follow the instruction and don’t worry about the warning message.

Thanks, I would be leery of force installing the drivers. As they say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". It is performing great so far with no issues. I have PCIe NVMe Gen 4 on my mobo and is working well.

After reading the reply from EncodeGR, I went back to the Samsung website and double checked & there were no drivers for the 980 Pro.

It was my mistake because originally I was going to get the 970 EVO or 970 EVO Plus, then at the last minute I got the 980 Pro.

I had already downloaded the drivers and didn't realize they were for the 970, 960 & 950 only.

This is what I'm getting, everything looks good so far.

I'm running the 980 Pro using the Microsoft NVMe driver.89618

For comparison, here's the 970 EVO running on Gen 389619