ROG Junior Member Array

Z490 still have Excessive Voltage?

Hi. I want to build my second PC. My first one is still rock solid - i5 and Z170-a Asus motherboard. I want to step up to a Core i7-10700K and want a Z490 Asus motherboard, something like the ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E . I'm not into overclocking but want a processor and board that can be overclocked so I can play around with it in the winter when I have time. But since I don't usually have time for that, I want to the processor/board to do its auto overclocking/turbo boost thing.

Anyway, when I look up Z490 motherboards I see a couple of videos that talk about z490 boards automatically pump up the voltage too high. I don't want to buy a board and have to mess with it for hours to make it solid. I want it to be solid as my i5/Z170-a out of the box.

So I'm wondering is excessive voltage something I should be worried about with Asus Z490 boards or have they fixed this problem?

Thanks!

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array xmanrigger PC Specs
    xmanrigger PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Strix Z490-A
    ProcessorIntel i9-10850
    Memory (part number)F4-4000C15D-16GTRS
    Graphics Card #1EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra / EK-Quantum Vector
    Sound CardO/B
    MonitorLG 32GK650F-B
    Storage #1WD Black 1TB M.2
    CPU CoolerEK Velocity Strike
    CaseLian Li O1 Dynamic
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1200i
    Keyboard Logitech G15
    Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
    Headset/Speakers logiteck Z-5500 5.1
    OS Win10 Pro 64
    Accessory #1 BeadaPanel 6.8" USB Display for Aida64

Quote Originally Posted by Vadermidwest View Post
    Hi. I want to build my second PC. My first one is still rock solid - i5 and Z170-a Asus motherboard. I want to step up to a Core i7-10700K and want a Z490 Asus motherboard, something like the ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E . I'm not into overclocking but want a processor and board that can be overclocked so I can play around with it in the winter when I have time. But since I don't usually have time for that, I want to the processor/board to do its auto overclocking/turbo boost thing.

Anyway, when I look up Z490 motherboards I see a couple of videos that talk about z490 boards automatically pump up the voltage too high. I don't want to buy a board and have to mess with it for hours to make it solid. I want it to be solid as my i5/Z170-a out of the box.

So I'm wondering is excessive voltage something I should be worried about with Asus Z490 boards or have they fixed this problem?

Thanks!
    I have the ROG Strix Z490-A Gaming with an i9-10850. Prior to that, I was running a RIVF with a 3930K. And ya, stock voltages seem excessive on the Z490. As well, the CPU never powers down below 4700mhz at idle at stock settings. Cant recall the voltage, but it was excessive. I didnt have to pump that into my 3930K to hit 4800mhz solid. Newer CPUs are supposedly more efficient. Not in this case.

Not sure if I have a bunk board or if this how Z490 runs and is safe for my CPU.
    GUTS: ROG Strix Z490-A / i9-10850 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ Royal 4000mhz / WD Black 1TB M.2 - 2TB Kingston M.2 / EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra / Corsair AX1200i PSU / Lian Li O1 Dynamic

WATER: EK Velocity Strike - CPU / EK-Quantum Vector - GPU / 2X Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 360 Radiators / XSPC Photon Rez / D5 Pump / DISTILLED WATER + Silver Coil

ROG Member Array pdixon0 PC Specs
    pdixon0 PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-11700K
    Memory (part number)G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3733MHz 32GB (F4-3733C17D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG STRIX 3070 Ti O8G Gaming OC
    Monitor3x HP LA2405x
    Storage #1WD SN850 500GB
    Storage #2AData SX8200 Pro 2TB (early version)
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black
    CaseAntec P120 Crystal
    Power SupplyCorsair RM750i
    Keyboard Steelseries Apex 3
    Mouse Steelseries Sensei 10
    Headset Steelseries Arctis 1
    Headset/Speakers Creative 8200
    OS Win 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterSky SR203 and BT Hub6 used as switch
    Accessory #1 6 x Noctua S12A Chromax.Black case fans
    Accessory #2 2nd Noctua NH-D15 fan used as case exhaust just behind the 2nd tower

Have you tried using the Balanced power profile in Windows? My 10600K and later 10700K on my PRIME Z490-A would run as low as 800MHz and boost up to the full overclocked speeds too.

High Performance power profile pegs the CPU max and mins at 100% if you look in the sub settings.

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ROG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vadermidwest View Post

Thanks!

What some users or v-bloggers deem excess voltage probably differs from Intel and board vendors, so you'd need to post what videos you're referencing. You can disable MCE and use the system at optimised defaults if this is how you prefer to do things.