cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z490 still have Excessive Voltage?

Vadermidwest
Level 7
Hi. I want to build my second PC. My first one is still rock solid - i5 and Z170-a Asus motherboard. I want to step up to a Core i7-10700K and want a Z490 Asus motherboard, something like the ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E . I'm not into overclocking but want a processor and board that can be overclocked so I can play around with it in the winter when I have time. But since I don't usually have time for that, I want to the processor/board to do its auto overclocking/turbo boost thing.

Anyway, when I look up Z490 motherboards I see a couple of videos that talk about z490 boards automatically pump up the voltage too high. I don't want to buy a board and have to mess with it for hours to make it solid. I want it to be solid as my i5/Z170-a out of the box.

So I'm wondering is excessive voltage something I should be worried about with Asus Z490 boards or have they fixed this problem?

Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3

xmanrigger
Level 12
Vadermidwest wrote:
Hi. I want to build my second PC. My first one is still rock solid - i5 and Z170-a Asus motherboard. I want to step up to a Core i7-10700K and want a Z490 Asus motherboard, something like the ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E . I'm not into overclocking but want a processor and board that can be overclocked so I can play around with it in the winter when I have time. But since I don't usually have time for that, I want to the processor/board to do its auto overclocking/turbo boost thing.

Anyway, when I look up Z490 motherboards I see a couple of videos that talk about z490 boards automatically pump up the voltage too high. I don't want to buy a board and have to mess with it for hours to make it solid. I want it to be solid as my i5/Z170-a out of the box.

So I'm wondering is excessive voltage something I should be worried about with Asus Z490 boards or have they fixed this problem?

Thanks!

I have the ROG Strix Z490-A Gaming with an i9-10850. Prior to that, I was running a RIVF with a 3930K. And ya, stock voltages seem excessive on the Z490. As well, the CPU never powers down below 4700mhz at idle at stock settings. Cant recall the voltage, but it was excessive. I didnt have to pump that into my 3930K to hit 4800mhz solid. Newer CPUs are supposedly more efficient. Not in this case.

Not sure if I have a bunk board or if this how Z490 runs and is safe for my CPU.
GUTS: ROG Strix Z490-A / i9-10850 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ Royal 4000mhz / WD Black 1TB M.2 - 2TB Ki...

WATER: EK Velocity Strike - CPU / EK-Quantum Vector - GPU / 2X Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 360 Radiators / XSPC Photon Rez / D5 Pump / DISTILLED WATER + Silver Coil

Have you tried using the Balanced power profile in Windows? My 10600K and later 10700K on my PRIME Z490-A would run as low as 800MHz and boost up to the full overclocked speeds too.

High Performance power profile pegs the CPU max and mins at 100% if you look in the sub settings.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Vadermidwest wrote:

Thanks!

What some users or v-bloggers deem excess voltage probably differs from Intel and board vendors, so you'd need to post what videos you're referencing. You can disable MCE and use the system at optimised defaults if this is how you prefer to do things.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090