Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU wont clock down in idle

zocker
Level 9
Board: ROG STRIX Z490-H GAMING
CPU: i9 1850K

Fresh Windows, all necessary drivers isntalled.
At the beginning all was fine, the CPU clocked down at idle to 800mhz.
Now it doesnt work anymore, i have nothing changed.
The CPU is not recognizing when i changing the powerplan in windows, it runs constantly at fullspeed.
I have the latest bios 2004 (beta), but i dont think it has todo with the beta status of the bios, because other people have the same problem.
i7-13700K
TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS
ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB
Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 Plus
32GB Corsair Vengeance CMK32GX5M2B5600C36
Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB (System)
Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB (Gaming)
11 REPLIES 11

pitderbeste
Level 8
Hi zocker,

Check the power options, Processor power management
I have the same problem, it always fades by itself for me, Processor power management is 100% until 5%

Saltgrass
Level 13
If I remember correctly, I had one doing that and traced it back to the RGB lighting utility..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

zocker
Level 9
pitderbeste wrote:
Hi zocker,

Check the power options, Processor power management
I have the same problem, it always fades by itself for me, Processor power management is 100% until 5%

Yeah, its the first setting ive checked, all is fine.

Saltgrass wrote:
If I remember correctly, I had one doing that and traced it back to the RGB lighting utility..

As you said that, i thought of Corsair Icue, i closed it and a little bit later the CPU clocks down, BUT it is very restless and go often up and down.
But i need this tool. 😕
i7-13700K
TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS

zocker
Level 9
Now i want go away from the beta bios and downgrade to the next lower version, i renamed the file and the bios says "Selected file is not proper bios".
I tried to flash another bios with the usb flash port but flashing was not success too.
Whats wrong, i am stuck at the latest bios?!
i7-13700K
TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS

zocker wrote:
Now i want go away from the beta bios and downgrade to the next lower version, i renamed the file and the bios says "Selected file is not proper bios".
I tried to flash another bios with the usb flash port but flashing was not success too.
Whats wrong, i am stuck at the latest bios?!

Did you use the Bios Converter Utility prior to flashing? The downloaded Bios must be converted before you can flash . Not sure why Asus cant just post the proper Bios version rather than have the user convert it.
GUTS: ROG Strix Z490-A / i9-10850 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ Royal 4000mhz / WD Black 1TB M.2 - 2TB Ki...

WATER: EK Velocity Strike - CPU / EK-Quantum Vector - GPU / 2X Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 360 Radiators / XSPC Photon Rez / D5 Pump / DISTILLED WATER + Silver Coil

xmanrigger wrote:
Did you use the Bios Converter Utility prior to flashing? The downloaded Bios must be converted before you can flash . Not sure why Asus cant just post the proper Bios version rather than have the user convert it.

Bios Converter?! Never heard of it, you mean the "Bios-renamer".exe that comes with the Download ?! The thing is, i can flash the latest Bios again without converting anything.
i7-13700K
TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS

Legolas
Level 9
Hi Zocker,

The BIOS-Renamer is for BIOS flashback. This motherboard does have this feature. Could you please run the BIOS Renamer and it will rename it and copy it to a flash drive?
Follow BIOS flashback procedure in the manual https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1200/ROG_STRIX_Z490-H_GAMING/E16229_ROG_STRIX_Z490-H_GAMING... sectino 2-2.

For the processor high frequency, did you try running Balance or power saving mode in power options in Windows? It is very difficult to run at 800Mhz if you have high performance mode. If you install programs already, it will use turbo to TVB frequency at normal load.
Sincerely,
Legolas

Legolas wrote:

For the processor high frequency, did you try running Balance or power saving mode in power options in Windows? It is very difficult to run at 800Mhz if you have high performance mode. If you install programs already, it will use turbo to TVB frequency at normal load.

Balance did nothing, but Power Saving did short times to 800Mhz, IF i close the Corsair CUE.

The reason about the Powersaving questions is, that my CPU runs the whole Time with 1.2v-1.25v @4800Mhz.
Is the Voltage safe for 24/7?!

And another thing is, that my CPU at the first Days of running are @5000Mhz Allcore, but not anymore, only if i change the Clock manual to 5000Mhz.

Max Temps in CB/Prime 65°.
i7-13700K
TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS

Legolas
Level 9
Hello Zocker, the Intel Core i9 -10850K runs at 5.2Ghz Turbo, and some people overclock 1.35V/1.332 at 5.1Ghz. So, 1.2v-1.25V at 4.8Ghz (4800Mhz) is fine. 4800Mhz is in normal operational and meet the processor specs. I think you should not worry about voltage if your temperature is great too.

When you desire 5Ghz, you might have to run at HIgh performance mode in power options and see if it runs at the speed. If you have only 1 application open, usually the processor might run at 5Ghz.
I think the reason why it was running 5Ghz at first day because you didn't have that much applications. The 5Ghz only can be reach when there are not of processes and services in the system and it only needs a few cores to run the OS. Do you use CPUZ? I like to see CPUZ and it shows the frequency very clearly and updates regularly.
You can test single thread CB23 and see if it runs close to 5Ghz.
Sincerely,
Legolas