cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For the love of god, let us configure the ram timings on our laptops (g533qs)

costilletax
Level 7
The only real thing we can do right now is flashing a different bios, and even then there are some issues... The website shows v. 309 as the most recent bios version, but it turns out that some annoying software that can only be installed through the disgusting microsoft store allows you to update your bios to version 313, without having the option to update it yourself. To top this off, something is broken regarding the spd module, because cpu-z won't display any info at all in the spd tab on version 313.

Of course, the bios is completely locked so there is simply no way to see what is going on. It doesn't even show relevant info on the advanceed tab, the most relevant thing one can do apart from flashing is disabling some armoury crate interface?. So there is no way to see what the spd reports on my new ram, nor is there any way I can potentially use the xmp profile, or manually set the timings to other than the lame jedec spec, if that is what the kit is actually running at... since there is something broken on the current bios, I have no real way to know.

Come on, even MSI laptops allow this kind of thing. So much for a "republic"!
10 REPLIES 10

flyingsoap1984
Level 7
I have the same problem with my G713QR laptop as well - it auto updated to bios 313 and now the memory stats are not showing in cpu-z or hwinfo.

costilletax
Level 7
Yesterday I update to the version 315, which was also messed up in several ways. The spd thing is still not showing, no info about the updates/changes. Nothing new on the bios, resizable bar still showing as disabled.

In order to update I had to run the .exe version, because they made a mistake and the ez flash download also has a .exe. So the windows way won't work, but if you execute the .exe it will decompress all the files in c:drivers and there you can copy the bios file to a drive, reboot into bios and flash it ... It seems like Asus is not very good at making software

Wow thanks for the update.

I will just skip this 315 bios.

Wheres the QA for these updates lol

costilletax wrote:
It seems like Asus is not very good at making software

We have a winner on final Jeopardy!!
They make decent hardware and most of the time with desktops anyhow the BIOS gets straight eventually. Laptops are and will always be limited access.
The other software like AI Suite, Game First, Sonic Studio, Armory crate etc all suck bawlz. Its messed up when I have to use MSI afterburner or EVGA Precision X1 to tune my ASUS cards because ASUS GPU tweak wouldn't make good TP if you printed it out and took it in the toilet with you.

BigJohnny
Level 13
Laptops have always been this way and probably always will be. Limited settings in BIOS and even if you try Intel XTU to tune it you get screwed. Get used to 2400Mhz on a laptop. Been there, done that, burned the T shirt.

ASUS never does give much in the lines of updates other than the generic "Improved Performance" that is on every BIOS update for the last 20 years.

BigJohnny wrote:
Laptops have always been this way and probably always will be. Limited settings in BIOS and even if you try Intel XTU to tune it you get screwed. Get used to 2400Mhz on a laptop. Been there, done that, burned the T shirt.

ASUS never does give much in the lines of updates other than the generic "Improved Performance" that is on every BIOS update for the last 20 years.

Oh yes, I know that much, not my first Asus laptop. It has always been up to Asus to give us a minimum of control over the device we just purchased from them. And now with AMD based laptops, seeing as how important memory is with these processors, I was hoping that at least we would be able to control the memory timings, but I know nobody capable of changing this will ever read this, much less actually change anything. I just feel like it needs to be said.

Blake1
Level 10
Dear all,
Thank you for your feedback.
I have reported to related department.

I reverted to the oldest BIOS found on Asus download page, BIOS 309 (EZ Flash)

Using 309, SPD info is seen, but after a reboot or so the latest Firmware (BIOS Update) 317 is more or less forced upon my G713QR via MyAsus.

Actually, laptop could NOT be Shut down, when you Shut down, it just rebooted with a message about "important update" so I had to accept that 😄 😄 😄

Triton.se wrote:
Actually, laptop could NOT be Shut down, when you Shut down, it just rebooted with a message about "important update" so I had to accept that 😄 😄 😄

If you open Device Manager, under Firmware there could be something with an error, it looks like if you uninstall/remove that driver it will stop nagging you about the "important update" which is actually the bios update back to 315.