cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel 3rd Generation XEON SCALABLE PROCESSOR release on Apr 6' 2021

restsugavan
Level 13

Long await ICELAKE SP the first 10+nm XEON SCALABLE PROCESSOR release.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/3rd-gen-xeon-scalable-pr...

Maybe we had LGA 2066 series of Core-X based on 10+nm on May or June 2021.
The Core count at these moment starting from 12 Core to 32 Core just waiting and see more info after Apr 6, 2021.
W11CANARY 26090.1 Core i9 7980XE 02007006 MCE ME 11.12.95.2499 R6E OFFICIAL BIOS 3801 SAMSUNG OG9 FW 1019.0 SSD 970 EVO PLUS 1 TB x 3 NVIDIA RTX 4090 GAME READY 551.86 64GB GSKILL DDR4 3200MHz JBL 9.1 Sound Bar DTS-X
6 REPLIES 6

Int8bldr
Level 11
restsugavan wrote:

Long await ICELAKE SP the first 10+nm XEON SCALABLE PROCESSOR release.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/3rd-gen-xeon-scalable-pr...

Maybe we had LGA 2066 series of Core-X based on 10+nm on May or June 2021.
The Core count at these moment starting from 12 Core to 32 Core just waiting and see more info after Apr 6, 2021.

You posted something about about that before https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?122172-HAPPY-NEW-YEAR-2021-Everyone -something that would be 2066 socket compatible with the x299 chip set and hopefully slot into our R6EE or? Is this really happening? and what would be the max core? 32?
I know this is wishful thinking from me... but your post gave hope so...

32 cores would be a big step up and actually be a credible competitor to thread ripper.
With fixed security (hopefully), memory bandwidth/latency improvements, AVX-512 lower negative offsets etc, an Intel Ice Lake on x299 would be a good bridge product before Sapphire Rapids comes out.
Sapphire Rapids is the real deal to wait for in my view. Sapphire Rapids will introduce PCIe 5.0, AVX512_BF16 and AMX and that is the real deal!

BigJohnny
Level 13
This wont go in a 2066 and its already being rolled out in large data centers, has been for a few months now. X299 Im afraid is at6 the end of its ropes. 109XX is it. Actually surprised to see 3 chip series consecutively on an intel chipset, usually 2 is about as far as it goes.

BigJohnny wrote:
This wont go in a 2066 and its already being rolled out in large data centers, has been for a few months now. X299 Im afraid is at6 the end of its ropes. 109XX is it. Actually surprised to see 3 chip series consecutively on an intel chipset, usually 2 is about as far as it goes.

Yeah I know it's wishful thinking, but as RESTSUGAVAN said here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?122172-HAPPY-NEW-YEAR-2021-Everyone it seams like he actually says that intel may surprise us and slot in an icelake into a x299 motherboard (same way rocketlake slots into the Z490 MB).
But I will remain skeptical until Intel publicly announce an ice lake CPU for x299. Other logic suggesting that there is something more behind this rumor is that Intel is kind of in a bad place since they do not have anything new in the HEDT space for 1.5 years (even longer if you count back to i9 7980XE since 10980XE is not much different, i.e. VNNI and lower AVX512 offsets etc but essentially an optimized 7980XE ), meanwhile AMD is releasing 2 generations of thread riper with more and more efficient cores... maybe intel needs to do something unorthodox to retain existing HEDT customers... I mean once HEDT customers like us go AMD/thread ripper we may not comeback to Intel so easily. Well that's my logic for wishful thinking. in any case we'll soon see.

BigJohnny
Level 13
Intel is only worried about $$. Customer satisfaction is not a top priority and the consumer market is a very small part of their business. TRX is done too. The only thing new is socket 1200 and my bet is it will see one more chip series and it will be done. Thats just intels way, always has been. If you can get two upgrades you are doing good, X299 has had 3 so Im not seeing anything else. They would rather throw us a consumer version of the same chip and make us have to buy a new MOBO. Im happy where I am for awhile with an R6EE and 10980E that will do 5.1 GHz all cores. Ive spent enough for a few years. All my hobby money for this year just went into upgrading the engine and tranny primary and clutch in my HD fatboy from a 96 CI to a 114 CI. Screamin Eagel build 1868 CC should do it! Just got it all mounted back in the frame. Best time spent behind bars!!

BigJohnny wrote:
Intel is only worried about $$. Customer satisfaction is not a top priority and the consumer market is a very small part of their business. TRX is done too. The only thing new is socket 1200 and my bet is it will see one more chip series and it will be done. Thats just intels way, always has been. If you can get two upgrades you are doing good, X299 has had 3 so Im not seeing anything else. They would rather throw us a consumer version of the same chip and make us have to buy a new MOBO. Im happy where I am for awhile with an R6EE and 10980E that will do 5.1 GHz all cores. Ive spent enough for a few years. All my hobby money for this year just went into upgrading the engine and tranny primary and clutch in my HD fatboy from a 96 CI to a 114 CI. Screamin Eagel build 1868 CC should do it! Just got it all mounted back in the frame. Best time spent behind bars!!

I totally get what you're saying! What a beauty you got there! 😄
And for the record I am super happy with my 10980XE and R6EE which will last for years!
It's simply a beast! and if you tune it at 5GHz+, like your bike, you make it fly. 😄

I am just interested in what intel is doing next, with special interest in NN and AVX-512 and the upcoming BF16 + AMX.
Again for the record, 10980XE is not CPU FP (AVX-512 FMA) processing constrained, it's memory latency constrained - no ram can keep up with it's FMAs.
It will take a long time before the AVX-512 FMA architecture (10980XE have 2 FMAs on port 0/1 and 5) is fully saturated, so I expect no change there in future designs: ice lake, sapphire lake, so the 10980XE will be sufficient for years. Current ram is just not fast enough to keep the 10980XE fed and no cache design (of reasonable size) can absorb the difference between CPU FMA speed and RAM speed (latency and bandwidth) when you're crunching through GBs of data.
In other words the 10980XE will be the good enough king for many years.

Still I'm curious to see what AMX and BF16 can do...

BigJohnny
Level 13
Yeah we are all interested but in usual intel fashion you find out after the fact Like these chips that they are announcing that have been rolling out in enterprise data centers for months. I think the first ones I saw going in was right after Thanksgiving 2020 but before Christmas. Entire 2U dual PSU cases already made MOBOs and all and the rest is in another blade bay so just shut down that node, pull out the old and put in the new and crank it back up. Pallet after pallet of them. Banks own Intel LOL.