cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus PG329Q - HDR mode - sudden decrease in brightness

SandMartin
Level 7
Good day. My monitor in HDR mode suddenly dims 2x after 30 minutes - 2 hours. This time it's always random. And it continues to work with reduced brightness. And it doesn't matter whether you are playing in HDR games or just sitting at your desktop. Switching from gaming HDR mode to console HDR mode and vice versa helps restore brightness.
I wrote to the Russian-speaking technical support. They say that in this way the monitor saves the matrix and the dims time depends on the picture shown by the monitor. They only offered to take it to a service center to increase this time with the help of firmware.
But I am dissapointed by sudden dimss at important moments during the gaming, without any warning message.
The question is, why is this feature of this monitor not indicated anywhere in the instructions and on the website? Is there a way to disable this sudden dims.
My monitor's firmware is currently version 031, RTX3070 Dual OC and Win10 64.
S/N L9LMTF357030

20 REPLIES 20

Alpha23
Level 7
Hi,

Got V033 firmware on my one and I dont have this issue so it seems it can be fixed with firmware. BUT I have another issue I want to share with you and get your opinion.

I got brightness flickering (randomly) when I activate (Adaptive Sync & HDR & 165Hz & dynamic Brightness enabled (HDR)

This can be seen very easy by playing RDR2 or Cyberpunk 2077.

The following changes will better the situation:

1. disable Adaptive Sync
2. lower frequency to 144Hz
3. disable HDR "dynamic brightness" option

I bought a new DP 1.4 cable (even when monitor only supports 1.2) but issue is not the Asus cable.

It seems HDR is still an issue even with firmware v033. (or these issues are display panel related?)

Check capacitors of your monitor brightness always issue when capacitors are damaged

Thanks for notice --> I returned my one about the reported issue for RMA.

Alpha23 wrote:
Thanks for notice --> I returned my one about the reported issue for RMA.

Hello Alpha23,
May you PM me your RMA number?
Thank you.

Hi Blake,

Thanks for the offer to support but I exchanged the monitor meanwhile with another manufacture. Retailer will probably return to ASUS itself for RMA .

Regards

Static
Level 7
Hey Sandmartin,

I noticed you from the this thread

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1266691-hdr-issues-on-a-asus-rog-swift-pg329q-update/page/2/

Thanks for posting this here. I'm having the exact same issue. Can the firmware be updated by me or is this something that has to be done by Asus? It's a brand new monitors less than a few weeks old.

also @Alpha23:

Hey man, I have the same exact issue. I have to turn the refresh rate down to 144hz or turn of dynamic dimming. I too, tried a certified VESA dp 1.4 without no change. I posted about it on Reddit in this post

https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comments/mhksdp/pg329q_165hz_hdr_dynamic_dimming_horrible/

So far, the only fix is exactly what you outlined, lower the refresh rate. On mine, if I lower the refresh rate I can keep G-Sync and Dynamic dimming on. But honestly, I'm really thinking about returning this monitor. It cost a lot of money to be having this many issues.

At anyrate, hope to hear from you guys soon. Thanks for making people aware of this issue. For reference, I included the below links to others having our issues

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?122797-Asus-PG329Q-dimming-automatically

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?121717-ROG-Swift-PG329Q-Dynamic-Dimming-issues-and-Display...

HI Static,

Yes based on so many ??? marks I had and so far no other's had reported these issues in detail I returned the monitor for a full refund.

Currently it is not known if it is a HW or SW issue but based on Samsung's Odyssey G7 HDR flickering issue after mid of last year release (took them 5 month to fix finally) with firmware I don't want to wait so long......

So I switched to Samsung Odyssey G7 meanwhile and have to say this would have been the better choice from the start. Offers 240Hz, DP1.4 and HDR 10Bit and with November released firmware 1009.3 "zero issues with HDR flickering or anything else" 🙂

To let a new display to customers in this condition is not acceptable. unless it is really a specific error only a few panels have.

So you can wait and hope or....

Have a nice day.

Blake1
Level 10
Hello Martin,
I haven't see any repair record in the system.
Are you planning to send the monitor to our service center?
Please PM me your RMA number if you get one, I can track your case by it.

Hello Static,
May you share a video of the issue?
I will consult more about it.
Thank you.

Blake@ROG wrote:
Hello Martin,
I haven't see any repair record in the system.
Are you planning to send the monitor to our service center?
Please PM me your RMA number if you get one, I can track your case by it.

Hello Static,
May you share a video of the issue?
I will consult more about it.
Thank you.

Thanks Blake... I'm thinking I may just send the monitor back and be done with it. It's an amazing monitor when it works but there are forum post after forum post of the issue and ASUS is asking for videos. How am I going to show you a video when it happens randomly? The monitor on its own, goes dim out of nowhere. I would be sending you a video of a dark screen and you would tell me to brighten the settings when it's not a settings issue. I have to turn the monitor off, or switch HDR from games to movie, back to Games for it to work again properly. It's outlined in this very forum post as well as the linustech tips forum link I linked in this post. I really do truly appreciate you reaching out to me on this, I do. But I think it's too late. I've been an asus rog supported for over a decade, proudly, but this is unacceptable. I've owned several asus rog motherboards and monitors through the years (currently still use asus rog products daily) but unfortunately for the price of this monitor I just don't have time to keep going back and fourth about it. I've contacted support and support asked me to return it to the retailer. Thank you again for reaching out. Maybe this will somehow help the future buyers of the PG329Q. Also, incase you weren't aware, the monitor at 165hz and above flickers with dynamic dimming on and off. I believe this to be a limitation of bandwidth over the 1.2 DP.