cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog Strix Z590-E Gaming Wifi sound issue

Cool_Barn
Level 8
EDIT : It turns out the problem was my DAC, not the motherboard. See my final post for the exhilarating story.

Hello there.

I'm having issues with the optical audio on my new Strix Z590-E Gaming Wifi. I have tried both the Asus and Microsoft drivers, and with both drivers the sound will cut out momentarily every 5 - 10 seconds or so.

Normally the first thing I do upon installing a new motherboard is a fresh Windows install, but for a number of reasons, I am yet to get around to it. I tried running Ubuntu Live to make sure it was software rather than hardware, but that didn't play any sound at all when selecting the Realtek USB option.

I have just updated the BIOS with the most recent version that has just been released.

I can't say for sure whether it's hardware or software, but I'm 95% sure it's driver-related. Probably a fresh install will fix the problem, but if anybody else has experienced this, could you please let me know (and a possible fix 🙂 )

Thank you for your help!
92 REPLIES 92

Zardoc
Level 10
Hi,

Have you updated to 0605 Bios ?

I posted a thread about the drivers. They aren't very stable because it's a new chip 4080. Have to wait for driver update. I run without the drivers for now.

Zardoc wrote:
Hi,

Have you updated to 0605 Bios ?

I posted a thread about the drivers. They aren't very stable because it's a new chip 4080. Have to wait for driver update. I run without the drivers for now.

Have just updated to 0704 - same problem 😞

LeithKemon
Level 7
Cool Barn wrote:
Hello there.

I'm having issues with the optical audio on my new Strix Z590-E Gaming Wifi. I have tried both the Asus and Microsoft drivers, and with both drivers the sound will cut out momentarily every 5 - 10 seconds or so.

Normally the first thing I do upon installing a new motherboard is a fresh Windows install, but for a number of reasons, I am yet to get around to it. I tried running Ubuntu Live to make sure it was software rather than hardware, but that didn't play any sound at all when selecting the Realtek USB option.

I have just updated the BIOS with the most recent version that has just been released.

I can't say for sure whether it's hardware or software, but I'm 95% sure it's driver-related. Probably a fresh install will fix the problem, but if anybody else has experienced this, could you please let me know (and a possible fix 🙂 )

Thank you for your help!

Having issues with this board audio too when using the Realtek optical output. Will work fine for a while then massive static feedback. Tested with different speakers and headsets. Reinstalled any audio related drivers. Its getting frustrating and unable to enjoy games at the moment and its unusable when it happens.

Zardoc
Level 10
Hi,

I have an open ticket about this driver. One other issue is it slows down windows boot on load. You can hear a faint pop from sub woofer. The average is about 5 to 10 seconds longer to boot.

Try this.

Uninstall using Mokichu's instructions (CLEANUP, INSTALL,) HERE

Do not use the drivers that he posted but use the drivers form the ASUS Website THESE ONES

Also, don't use the install file but use the batch file (BAT) and run as administrator. You won't see much going on but it is installing. Wait a few minutes, then reboot. You can use the sonic studio settings and try it out then.

If you still have issues. I suggest opening a ticket. The more tickets, the more attention it gets.

Let us know how it goes.

Zardoc wrote:
Hi,

I have an open ticket about this driver. One other issue is it slows down windows boot on load. You can hear a faint pop from sub woofer. The average is about 5 to 10 seconds longer to boot.

Try this.

Do not use the drivers that he posted but use the drivers form the ASUS Website THESE ONES

Also, don't use the install file but use the batch file (BAT) and run as administrator. You won't see much going on but it is installing. Wait a few minutes, then reboot. You can use the sonic studio settings and try it out then.

If you still have issues. I suggest opening a ticket. The more tickets, the more attention it gets.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks very much for the info just trying this now. I thought I was going crazy trying to diagnose the problem for the past few weeks. Its been really stressful so in a way good to see others having various issues with audio on z590. To be honest just the fact it was calling the output 'Realtek Optical [USB Audio]' or something just felt strange.

Zardoc wrote:
Hi,

Try this.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks very much for the help, but sadly that didn't help either 😞

UPDATE : It has turned out that the motherboard was NOT to blame after all!

It was actually the DAC that my optical was running to.

Let me ask you this - what are the chances of your DAC failing at the EXACT same time you change your motherboard?

One minute I'm running a Z490 board - optical runs fine.

I Install a Z590 board - audio starts cutting out when connected to both optical-inputs.

Your first thought is definitely not "I'll have to replace my DAC".

New board - new problem, right?

The funny thing is I asked an extremely talented technician friend of mine "What are the chances of the DAC going at the exact same time I change the mobo? That's why it is most likely the mobo".

You know his wise, sagely answer :

"When it comes to your computers - I do not challenge the universe".

It looks like the universe got me once again 😄

I'm just glad to have the issue sorted. I have replaced my DAC, and everything is running beautifully. I would like to thank everybody who tried to help. I would also like to thank Asus, who not only got back to me very promptly, but also offered an RMA rather than sending me terrible advice and suggestions every three days like other motherboard manufacturers might do.

Moral of the story - troubleshoot all possibilities before getting flustered 🙂

I have the same issue reported (everything is fine until a sudden massive feedback noise).
I tried the uninstall method described above, reinstalled that specified driver and while the frequency of the issue has decreased, it's still here so any advice would be welcome.

Additionally, I'm new to Asus ecosystem .. where exactly I can open an issue about this?
Thanks!

_Emanuel_ wrote:
I have the same issue reported (everything is fine until a sudden massive feedback noise).
I tried the uninstall method described above, reinstalled that specified driver and while the frequency of the issue has decreased, it's still here so any advice would be welcome.

Additionally, I'm new to Asus ecosystem .. where exactly I can open an issue about this?
Thanks!

I couldn't wait for Asus to get their driver sh*t together, as I was constantly getting woken up by my computer springing to static life at all hours of the day or night. So I bought a soundcard, which fixed the problem instantly (well the second soundcard I installed did so instantly).

Because I'm in Australia, the email address that I received support from was servicecenter_au@asus.com .

The support was very good, stating that I needed to RMA the board, so I appreciate Asus suggesting that rather than mucking around too much with solutions that don't have a great chance of success. But I have been troubleshooting this system for weeks, with a number of different faulty parts (a broken Corsair AIO, and even the original Creative soundcard I purchased to fix this problem was DOA and not recognised by Windows. Thankfully the replacement worked perfectly, but if there is anybody unluckier than me at the moment, I feel very sorry for him/her).

As a result I couldn't wait any longer for my local store to test the motherboard, wait for a replacement, and then reinstall everything, when a soundcard fixed it straight away. And if it was actually a driver issue rather than hardware - then the new motherboard isn't going to be helping very much anyway.

So that's my solution. Buy a $650 motherboard, and then watch it turn into a $1000 motherboard before you can hear proper sound.