cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happined

lerb55
Level 7
So I upgrade to a ROG STRIX Z490-E Gaming motherboard and a 10850K processor and 32 g of qvl approved ram old case and 1300w EVGA powersupply and my 1080TI's in SLI.
it starts out good everything works then one day on startup it says CMOS reset and asking for intel or amd defaults so I setup everything and its working normal. Then about 2 weeks while playing a game it goes to a black screen with a sound loop power button does nothing so after 5 min I shut down with psu power button. On attempt to start only accent led's are on no Q led 's and the Q code says 00. Unplug everything and reseat still the same. Try a new motherboard and it does the same thing... Could my new CPU have died? or did I get a DOA motherboard?
3 REPLIES 3

xeromist
If the motherboard swap didn't fix it then I'd say it's unlikely. Since you have two GPUs I'd try them one at a time to eliminate a GPU as a potential issue. You could also try a single memory stick to be thorough but it sounds like either PSU or CPU failure.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

lerb55
Level 7
Ok I am not sure what to make of this but after removing all the cables from the power supply (EVGA 1300) and pluging them back in (its been working for 5 years) it worked again, pc posted. I haven't done more than seeing the post screen as it is a water cooled rig so now just add waiter and see what happens. Do failing powersupplys go up and down like that?

xeromist
Is it still working now a few weeks later? Overcurrent protection would cut all power so you wouldn't get any post code until the trip is reset and then everything works again. The only way I could see an intermittent issue like that would be if something is literally overheating inside of the PSU.

Being water cooled you should also check to see if you have a slow leak anywhere. If liquid dropped on the wrong thing that could cause a failure that would go away when it dries.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…