cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73JW consistently shuts off after ~2 minutes

tamanaco
Level 7
My 10 year old 17" G73JW shuts down without any error messages after approximately two minutes. It's not an OS issue as it turns off even while in the ASUS BIOS page... meaning no OS running. (Hardware failure) It does the same even after I remove the SSD and leave it without boot media. I have also removed and swapped the memory sticks around and boot it with the two SIMMs minimum. I just finished repasting the CPU and GPU with Artic Silver 5 Thermal Paste and swapped the hard-to-reach memory SIMM, but the issue continues. I hear the GPU fan go on before it turns off, but can't tell if the CPU fan is turning on. But... at just two minutes from a cold start, I doubt that the processing units are overheating, specially after the repasting. Something is telling it to shutdown after a specific time, but I can't figure out what or why?

I'm starting to think that there's something wrong with the motherboard, but before I spend my money, I'd like to know if anyone here has any other ideas as to what might be causing this issue. Also, does anyone know of a reputable place where I can buy a G73JW motherboard. I found some without CPU or GPU boards and wonder... what if the GPU or CPU are the source of the problem?... If it still fails, can I return the motherboard?

Anyway, I love my G73JW, but I already spent four days trying to fix it. Out of frustration, I was about to pull the trigger on a 2021 ASUS ROG Strix G17, but it is SOLD OUT or backordered everywhere I looked. If anyone can point me to where I can purchased this very "affordable" ROG gaming laptop now, please post the link. In the meantime, I will continue to try to fix my G73 and wait for the Strix G17 to be available... whatever comes first.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that my friend has a G73JH and I tested my G73JW using his AC adapter... no dice.
4 REPLIES 4

jdfrench3
Level 12
How's your battery?

Time to retire the G73....
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
How's your battery?

Time to retire the G73....

The battery has been dead for about six years. I know, I know, it's time to retire it, but it has been performing well for all these years. I use it to work from home and have made configuration changes over the years to work well with my home and work systems. I figure that it'll take me a few days to transfer all the data from the old computer and configure it the way I want.

BTW, I have been looking for G73JW-XT1 Rev 3.0 Motherboard, but I have not found any. If someone runs across one, please post the link here. Same if you come across a 2021 ROG Strix G17 available for purchase.

I will probably disassemble the G73JW again to see if the issue is being caused by the CPU fan. I will try to replace it with one from an old ASUS All-In-One desktop that appears to be of the same size.

I'm sure you did this when you opened the machine up to do all the re-pasting and stuff, but just to make sure, did you check that the vents/ducts/fans weren't blocked and were actually spinning? Have you tried running something like HWInfo during the short time the machine stays up and watching the temperatures/fan speeds?

ationfictons wrote:
I'm sure you did this when you opened the machine up to do all the re-pasting and stuff, but just to make sure, did you check that the vents/ducts/fans weren't blocked and were actually spinning? Have you tried running something like HWInfo during the short time the machine stays up and watching the temperatures/fan speeds?

Yes, I cleaned all the vents, ducts and fans using a brush, electronic duster and a vacuum. Both fans spun around when I blew air on them. Once I reassemble the laptop and power it on, I hear the GPU fan spin, but not the CPU fan. The laptop was running a little hot, but not at an alarming level. I don't play games or use any graphics intensive applications other than streamed videos. I clean the vents and ducts using a electronic duster regularly. Sorry, can't currently run HWInfo as the laptop turns off a few seconds after I enter the Windows password.