cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HeatPlate is not touching to the chip! (i changed the thermal pads and paste)

GodPower
Level 7
Hi there,

This forum is usually not very active, and very few people are sharing any knowledge about these Zephyruses But i want to share all information that i experienced so anybody can get use of it.

I was experiencing heavy throttling issues due to high temperatures of the CPU (and it effects GPU also)

i Undevolted CPU , and GPU and could barely keep it below the thorttling limit at 3.2Ghz Cpu and 1350hz at GPU, i was not so happy about it, and i decided to change thermal paste also.

so i opened the laptop and cleaned the fans and changed the therma paste, and after 4-5 test of TimeSpy, it did not exceed 78 degrees and it was low 90s before application! That is a big relief for me. (i think fan cleaning also helped)

BUT WHEN I DISMANTLE THE HEATSINK, I REALISE SOMETHING!
all vram, and other component thermal pads was dissolved bcs of heat, but couple of chips has the pads non touched, even applied very unprofessionally. and one adjacent chips pads, were sticked on the metal plate not to chip (again unmelted)

2 photo of the situation before the cleaning and reapplying

Anyway then i replaced all pads also with the cpu gpu paste, but after i install the pads, i see these chips has no contact with the cooling solution!
its not a bending or flexing issue, the metal plate is just higher than it should be. please check the photos. May be these chips are not a big issue for heat generating, but if its not , why they spend effort to put a heating pad and plate on top?

2 photo after the application,

im not sure if it is causing any extra heat then necessary, but surely there is a flaw in this design
7 REPLIES 7

GodPower
Level 7

after application

I Couldnt Put The Photos here, so i am adding a link! Please Check the photos!

https://imgur.com/gallery/yuF83uH

GodPower wrote:
I Couldnt Put The Photos here, so i am adding a link! Please Check the photos!

https://imgur.com/gallery/yuF83uH

Yeah after checking the images 1.0mm is way too thick and that is why it isn't touching, go for 0.5mm pads.

fbajjar wrote:
Yeah after checking the images 1.0mm is way too thick and that is why it isn't touching, go for 0.5mm pads.

Yes but, before i installed new ones, they were not touching also.
But you are right if i use 0.5 it will be more closer to the chip..

MAY BE, i can use 0.5 in all others, but 1mm in these 3 chips.

Hey i repasted my laptop with kryonaut and found out that 0.2mm thickness is even better for temps (i used thermal grizzly minus pad). My CPU dropped a massive 30C and the GPU a small 5C. No thermal throttling anymore whatsoever no matter what i throw at it.

Devonkev
Level 7
Hi guys. I have the gx701gwr and thanks to that awful Asus windows bios update I’ve lost the ability to undervolt. I did ask technical support if they could put 307 bios back *but no joy. So l too will be going down the repaste route, I’ve gone with thermalite tfx and got 0.5 & 1.0 mm thermal pads.
* While it’s disassembled I thought about upgrading the nvme ssd to A Corsair mp510 & do a clean windows install as I’m currently on windows 1909 & need to update so not to lose the security support. Kevin*

Devonkev wrote:
Hi guys. I have the gx701gwr and thanks to that awful Asus windows bios update I’ve lost the ability to undervolt. I did ask technical support if they could put 307 bios back *but no joy. So l too will be going down the repaste route, I’ve gone with thermalite tfx and got 0.5 & 1.0 mm thermal pads.
* While it’s disassembled I thought about upgrading the nvme ssd to A Corsair mp510 & do a clean windows install as I’m currently on windows 1909 & need to update so not to lose the security support. Kevin*

i had the same issue also, but i Resotred one older Bios (Which unlocks the voltage controls) with EZFlash. then they are unlocked again.
But anyhow, even if you undervolt, go for repasting...

The change is dramatical.