cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Zephyrus duo GX550 major fan issues/noise issues

Khormologia
Level 7
Hello,

I have 2 issues, and I don't know how to cope with them anymore.

1) The first one is what I call "Fan breathing" but in a noisy way. Even in IDLE mode, the fans every 25s kick into 1800-2000 RPM generating a noise over 20db.
The problem is that the thing is cycling every 25s; the fans kick in then kick out. (Especially when I am connected to an external monitor)

I tried all the configs with Armoury Crate even create my own, but there is no solution for this even the "Silence" mode is not really quite.
I even let my computer in an IDLE mode without opening anything and monitoring GPU & CPU activity, but the fans still kick in and out .... and the issue is that the fans are high pitched and annoying cycle (it's like hearing a drop of water over and over)

So please let me know what I should do.

2) the second issue is when I put my computer in "sleep mode.", there is some "Coil" noise or some electronic (high pitched) noise. I hope I am not the only one having this issue.

The computer is a beast but these 2 noises are really annoying, so please if you can help me on this.
4 REPLIES 4

fbajjar
Level 8
The first issue seems to be something causing either CPU or GPU usage spikes that increase temps and that forces the fans to ramp up. Considering my experience with ASUS's garbage software, i'm betting it is the armoury crate update ver 4.0.8.0 that they pushed last week which caused the Armoury Crate User Session helper to jump up randomly in CPU usage (on my machine it is around 15% of cpu usage which increased temps by 5-15C) Check your task manager and see if it is the culprit. As for connecting your laptop to an external monitor, yeah you should expect that if you are using both displays (the laptop's and the monitor) at the same time as the GPU is working twice as hard or even more depending on your external monitor's resolution (1080p, 4k etc...) and if it has G-SYNC too (G-Sync stresses the GPU even further)
As for the second issue, yeah that coil whine happens on most if not all zephyruses. Coil whine exists in all electronics as all electronics deal with electromagnetic forces (which are the forces that make materials vibrate and cause sounds like that, of course the intensity of the sound depends on how resistant the material is to such forces and because laptops are mass-produced most components in the motherboard aren't soldered well enough to resist so it is a lottery, some laptops have no coil whine and others have it in different places)

fbajjar wrote:
The first issue seems to be something causing either CPU or GPU usage spikes that increase temps and that forces the fans to ramp up. Considering my experience with ASUS's garbage software, i'm betting it is the armoury crate update ver 4.0.8.0 that they pushed last week which caused the Armoury Crate User Session helper to jump up randomly in CPU usage (on my machine it is around 15% of cpu usage which increased temps by 5-15C) Check your task manager and see if it is the culprit. As for connecting your laptop to an external monitor, yeah you should expect that if you are using both displays (the laptop's and the monitor) at the same time as the GPU is working twice as hard or even more depending on your external monitor's resolution (1080p, 4k etc...) and if it has G-SYNC too (G-Sync stresses the GPU even further)
As for the second issue, yeah that coil whine happens on most if not all zephyruses. Coil whine exists in all electronics as all electronics deal with electromagnetic forces (which are the forces that make materials vibrate and cause sounds like that, of course the intensity of the sound depends on how resistant the material is to such forces and because laptops are mass-produced most components in the motherboard aren't soldered well enough to resist so it is a lottery, some laptops have no coil whine and others have it in different places)

Thanks a lot for your response
Concerning the Amoury crate, yes probably but what's bizarre that the performance silence profile are exactly the same, having the same behavior. and I really don't know what to do about it, I think they should do a version update.
Else for the Coil whine, what is bizarre is the computer is in sleeping mode so I don't know if it's okay or not.

It really doesn't matter what profile you put on. As long as there is med-high cpu usage the fans will ramp up otherwise your laptop will burn itself. As for the coil whine issue, as i said earlier it happens on every Zephyrus model i have seen while sleeping including my own (and i have been with this laptop for over a year) so it really is nothing to worry about.

00iram
Level 7
For fan noise issue, i have downloaded throttle stop program to disable turbo boost on cpu. since then, everyday use of thhe laptop dont even turn the fan on. computing power is still higher than 70% of other laptops, temps are always below 38, when i need gaming, i turn off throttlestop program and everything runs great. i alo have sttaic noise from laptops, its speakers.