Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    3

    SSD Not being detected as boot drive on Boot-up

    Evening all,

    I hope some bright spark out there can help. A newbee?

    I recently bought the Z590 maximus Hero xIIII MB. I have contected (on M.2_3 slot) my old SSD card Samsung 970 1TB (with windows 10 64bit OS on it) taken from my old set-up MB x99 Deluxe 2. I fired up the new MB but it is not booting to windows? The advance \ NVme controller and drive info has drive listed and if looking in EZ mode drive is also listed under storage information as M,2_3: samsung SSD 970 EVO plus 1 TB . But have tried to look at Boot menu and no drive listed. Gone to onboard devices configuration and see M.2_3 configuartion as Auto.

    Any ideas how i get the SSD to boot into my windows so i can then update drivers from supplied disc to install all new software onto this SSD drive from windows and remove my old x99MB drivers. Any pointers or help will be greatly recieved. thanks all!
    Last edited by Dickiedavies; 03-31-2021 at 08:47 PM.

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Legolas PC Specs
    Legolas PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus X Hero Wifi AC
    ProcessorIntel Core i7 8600k oc 5Ghz
    Memory (part number)Samsung DDR4 16GB
    Graphics Card #1ASUS NVIDIA GTX 1080
    MonitorASUS MS246
    Storage #1Samsung MZVPV256
    Storage #2Samsung MZVPV256
    CPU CoolerCorsair H110I v2
    Power SupplyPC 1200W Turbo-Cool 1200
    Keyboard ASUS SK2045

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    293

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickiedavies View Post
    Evening all,

    I hope some bright spark out there can help. A newbee?

    I recently bought the Z590 maximus Hero xIIII MB. I have contected (on M.2_3 slot) my old SSD card Samsung 970 1TB (with windows 10 64bit OS on it) taken from my old set-up MB x99 Deluxe 2. I fired up the new MB but it is not booting to windows? The advance \ NVme controller and drive info has drive listed and if looking in EZ mode drive is also listed under storage information as M,2_3: samsung SSD 970 EVO plus 1 TB . But have tried to look at Boot menu and no drive listed. Gone to onboard devices configuration and see M.2_3 configuartion as Auto.

    Any ideas how i get the SSD to boot into my windows so i can then update drivers from supplied disc to install all new software onto this SSD drive from windows and remove my old x99MB drivers. Any pointers or help will be greatly recieved. thanks all!
    Hello,
    The M.2_1( see manual) is doesn't work with 10th Intel processor. Pleaase install the M.2 drive on M.2_2 or M.2_3
    If you did, please go to BIOS -> Boot -> Boot option/priority #1 -> Windows Boot Manager. (Samsung).
    Sincerely,
    Legolas

  3. #3
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    3

    SSD Not being detected as boot drive on Boot-up

    Quote Originally Posted by Legolas View Post
    Hello,
    The M.2_1( see manual) is doesn't work with 10th Intel processor. Pleaase install the M.2 drive on M.2_2 or M.2_3
    If you did, please go to BIOS -> Boot -> Boot option/priority #1 -> Windows Boot Manager. (Samsung).

    Hi Legolas thanks for trying to help.

    I have the SSD contected in the M.2-3 slot. My problem is the SSD will not Boot to windows or UEFI BIOS utility change settings in key areas for SSD card

    Settings :

    UEFI BIOS Utility - Advance mode
    CSM - which when you enter is grey out - so cannot launch CSM
    Secure Boot - OS Type set to Windows UEFI mode & Secure Boot mode to Custom
    Boot configuration - just settings for boot up
    Boot option priorities - is grey out
    Boot override - is grey out

    UEFI BIOS utility - EZ mode
    Storage information - NVME: M.2_3: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1 TB
    Boot Priority - No SSD just blank
    Boot Menu - same no SSD being pick-up

    Intel Rapid Storage Technology - off

    I have only the SSD fitted and no SATA drives to keep simple for now but will connect once the computer is using SSD M2 to windows.

    Any points to get SSD to boot to windows? The MB is picking up SSD but not allow it to be selected to prioritise to Boot?
    Last edited by Dickiedavies; 04-02-2021 at 07:45 PM.

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Saltgrass PC Specs
    Saltgrass PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus XIII Hero
    Processori9 11900K
    Graphics Card #1EVGA RTX 3090 FTW
    Sound CardOn Board
    MonitorDell AW3420DW
    Storage #1Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB
    Storage #2Samsung 860 Pro 1 TB
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Hyper 212X
    CaseCooler Master
    Power SupplyAntec HCP Platinum 1000
    Keyboard ASUS Strix Flare
    Mouse ASUS Chakram
    Headset/Speakers Logitech wired 5.1
    OS Win 10 Pro
    Network RouterROG Rapture GT-AX11000/AXE11000
    Accessory #1 VR Headset
    Accessory #2 Saitek X52

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Reputation
    18
    Posts
    442

    Are you sure the install on the x99 was a UEFI install? Can you put the drive back on the X99 and get us a Disk Management picture?

    An alternative might be to boot into the install media and go to a command prompt and use Diskpart to show the partitions on the drive..

    Do you have a Retail License for Win 10?

  5. #5
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    3

    SSD Not being detected as boot drive on Boot-up

    Quote Originally Posted by Saltgrass View Post
    Are you sure the install on the x99 was a UEFI install? Can you put the drive back on the X99 and get us a Disk Management picture?

    An alternative might be to boot into the install media and go to a command prompt and use Diskpart to show the partitions on the drive..

    Do you have a Retail License for Win 10?

    Hi Saltgrass thanks for helping.

    Used my Bootable USB windows repair to access Diskpart looks like the partitions format are NTFS attached pic. it the same when i try to use my back-up hard boot drive within SATA it is not being recongised as a boot drive. Can i recover the SSD to be a boot drive so do not loss any info or do i have to clear and do a reinstall of fresh windows? or can you change any settings to be recongised by MB?

    thanks
    rich
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos IMG_5676.jpg  


  6. #6
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Reputation
    129
    Posts
    665

    Quote Originally Posted by Dickiedavies View Post
    Hi Saltgrass thanks for helping.

    Used my Bootable USB windows repair to access Diskpart looks like the partitions format are NTFS attached pic. it the same when i try to use my back-up hard boot drive within SATA it is not being recongised as a boot drive. Can i recover the SSD to be a boot drive so do not loss any info or do i have to clear and do a reinstall of fresh windows? or can you change any settings to be recongised by MB?

    thanks
    rich
    Your best bet would be to get a cheap sata to USB adapter, like $15. Then you can plug it into anything and get your files off. Then Delete the partitions and start all over. Should be able to delete partitions and format on install.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •