cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choosing My Computer

Tokaromaul
Level 7
Im having trouble making a decision between a G53 JW or a custom desktop for gaming. I basically will keep it in my room and game nonestop.
The specs for the G53 are obliviously as follows:
CPU Type
Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.0GHz

Memory Size: 6GB DDR3
Hard Disk: 500GB
Optical Drive: DVD Super Multi
Dimensions: 15.6" x 11.9" x 0.8" - 2.0"
Weight: 7.9 lbs. with 8 Cell battery
Screen Size: 15.6"
Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Graphics:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M
1.5GB GDDR5

As for the desktop its a custom built one with these specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte 990FXA UD5
Processor: AMD Black Edition X6 1100T @ 3.3 GHz
Graphics Card: Nvidia GTX 580
Ram: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600 MHz
Cooler: Corsair H80 Liquid Cooler
Hard Drives: OCZ RevoDrive (120 Gb Solid State) - Operating system (Windows 7)
OCZ Vertex 2 (60 Gb Solid State)
Western Digital Caviar Black (500 Gb Disk Drive)
Power Supply: Corsair GS800
Fans: Theres 11

Both of these will be used, the laptop off a friend for $800 or the desktop from kijiji for $900. Could someone help me with what one I should go for? I generally going to be playing games such as Tera, Diablo 3, League of Legends, Starcraft 2, SWTOR.
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

Basilo
Level 7
Based on the experience ive had with my G74, i would go with the desktop, but you might want to get a 680 instead of a 580, since they are about the same price but the 680 is far better. And $900? Both of the graphics cards i just mentioned are $500 a piece!

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Tokaromaul wrote:
Im having trouble making a decision between a G53 JW or a custom desktop for gaming. I basically will keep it in my room and game nonestop.

Generally speaking, if you have the room, a desktop would be the better choice. It's cheaper and more upgradable.

XRIGS
Level 7
I agree with these two guys, Go for a desktop. It's whole lot better when upgrading and replacing something. Also gives you more headroom in terms of cooling and OC.

Thanks for the help choosing, Also for the desktop I know its better than the G53 but, I was wonder if its in general a good computer or a great computer. Also I was wondering if you guys could give me a ballpark estimate of what settings and my approx fps running at 1080p on like, tera, diablo 3, WoW, League of legends

The G53SX is a great computer. It is very powerful, and not that expensive. I would assume that the G53JW is the same way. With regards to what @XRIGS said, the ASUS ROG line has great cooling. I can play 3D games for hours, and it hardly gets warm. When the fans are going full bore, it can get a little noisy, but the cooling system actually works, unlike Apple's Torchbook Pros. When typing on a document and/or browsing the internet, the system is almost silent.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23