Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    13

    New GT-AX11000 help needed

    I Got this router about 3 weeks back and since setting it up I have noticed ongoing connection speed issues with both Streaming and Surfing as well as Dropping internet to both wifi and hard-wired connections - the devices appear to still be connected to the router

    I am currently running Merlin 386.2 and I have a RT-68U As a mesh node running 9.0.0.1.386_41994.
    I also have a Nord VPN client configured on the router as well.
    Can anyone recommend any settings to set/check?
    Happy to reply with more info... I just keep getting errors trying to post.

  2. #2
    ROG Enthusiast Array BiggShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    32

    Quote Originally Posted by noviceDave View Post
    I Got this router about 3 weeks back and since setting it up I have noticed ongoing connection speed issues with both Streaming and Surfing as well as Dropping internet to both wifi and hard-wired connections - the devices appear to still be connected to the router

    I am currently running Merlin 386.2 and I have a RT-68U As a mesh node running 9.0.0.1.386_41994.
    I also have a Nord VPN client configured on the router as well.
    Can anyone recommend any settings to set/check?
    Happy to reply with more info... I just keep getting errors trying to post.
    The ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 is NOT supported by Merlin firmware. You need to install the latest firmware release from ASUS. You can download the latest firmware release here:

    https://rog.asus.com/us/networking/r.../helpdesk_bios

    I would assume the issues you are experiencing would be directly related to the Merlin firmware you have loaded on the GT-AX11000. It would be best to reset the router to factory default prior to installing the latest ASUS firmware.

  3. #3
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    13

    sooooo

    Merlin says it is supported and the Asus stock GUI is garbage..
    Ive seen post after post on how problematic this router is which is disgusting given the price tag. Ergo I think its very premature to blame the merlin tested firmware before even looking at a single item of the router's configuration.

    If you would like to offer suggestions on settings I should check I am more than happy to try those... dumping a reliable firmware alternative when so many people have issues with the stock firmware isn't where I want to start my troubleshooting.

    I do appreciate you taking the time to reply
    Last edited by noviceDave; 04-06-2021 at 06:55 PM.

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Reputation
    31
    Posts
    120

    Quote Originally Posted by noviceDave View Post
    Merlin says it is supported and the Asus stock GUI is garbage..
    Ive seen post after post on how problematic this router is which is disgusting given the price tag. Ergo I think its very premature to blame the merlin tested firmware before even looking at a single item of the router's configuration.

    If you would like to offer suggestions on settings I should check I am more than happy to try those... dumping a reliable firmware alternative when so many people have issues with the stock firmware isn't where I want to start my troubleshooting.

    I do appreciate you taking the time to reply
    wait merlin now supports ax1100? nice nice gona try it out on my 2nd ax1100, asus firmware is so buggy, and your right its disgusting to have a problematic flagship router

  5. #5
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    13

    Yep it says it right on the site

    https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/
    GT-AX11000 :-)

    Still hoping for some suggestions or things to check
    I know i dont have super fast speed but given the speed tests on the router and the laptop (even with my Nord VPN Client configured), I shouldnt have the issues i do

  6. #6
    ROG Enthusiast Array BiggShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    32

    Quote Originally Posted by noviceDave View Post
    Merlin says it is supported and the Asus stock GUI is garbage..
    Ive seen post after post on how problematic this router is which is disgusting given the price tag. Ergo I think its very premature to blame the merlin tested firmware before even looking at a single item of the router's configuration.

    If you would like to offer suggestions on settings I should check I am more than happy to try those... dumping a reliable firmware alternative when so many people have issues with the stock firmware isn't where I want to start my troubleshooting.

    I do appreciate you taking the time to reply
    I stand corrected Thanks for providing that information. I plan on installing the Merlin firmware on my GT-AX11000.

    I've had the GT-AX11000 since January 2020, and remember seeing posts that Merlin firmware was not supported on the GT-AX11000, and wouldn't be supported. I do prefer Merlin firmware over the ASUS firmware. With the GT-AC5300, I was using the Merlin firmware and found it to be much better and more stable!

    I'm currently without a GT-AX11000, as this is the fourth time (in two months) I've had to send it back for an issue with the 2.5G Gaming Port (failing to establish an internet connection to my Xbox Series X). This will be the third, brand new / factory sealed, GT-AX11000 Asus has sent me. Frustrating to say the least.

    On a separate note, I've had NO ISSUES with using the latest ASUS firmware for the GT-AX11000. It performs very well. I'll be happy to share my settings once I get the GT-AX11000 back this week (hopeful).
    Last edited by BiggShooter; 04-07-2021 at 03:22 PM.

  7. #7
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    13

    Good Luck with the new router

    The fact that you went through three of them screams volumes about ASUS' QC and manufacturing.

    If you find a reliable configuration I would appreciate you sharing.
    The Merlin firmware seems stable but its just so hard to know if ifs the firmware or the router or something like a setting.
    I dont have anything too complicated and I checked to make sure my channels aren't overlapping with neighbors as best I can.

    I've had the issues with QoS turned on and off... custom and Media Streaming selected.
    None of the Wifi settings are jumping out for me but maybe its a combination of things. I have Wifi 6 mode odd, multi-band enabled but because of some smart devices I do have Smart Connect turned off. I do have airtime fairness and MIMO both enabled... as well as explicit and universal beamforming.
    Most of my smart devices and plugs are on the 2.4ghz network.
    Not sure what other details to provide.

  8. #8
    ROG Enthusiast Array BiggShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    32

    Quote Originally Posted by noviceDave View Post
    The fact that you went through three of them screams volumes about ASUS' QC and manufacturing.

    If you find a reliable configuration I would appreciate you sharing.
    The Merlin firmware seems stable but its just so hard to know if ifs the firmware or the router or something like a setting.
    I dont have anything too complicated and I checked to make sure my channels aren't overlapping with neighbors as best I can.

    I've had the issues with QoS turned on and off... custom and Media Streaming selected.
    None of the Wifi settings are jumping out for me but maybe its a combination of things. I have Wifi 6 mode odd, multi-band enabled but because of some smart devices I do have Smart Connect turned off. I do have airtime fairness and MIMO both enabled... as well as explicit and universal beamforming.
    Most of my smart devices and plugs are on the 2.4ghz network.
    Not sure what other details to provide.
    I will definitely share my settings once I get the GT-AX11000 sent back to me from ASUS. One thing that jumps out at me is Smart Connect. I DO HAVE Smart Connect enabled. I did take a screenshot of some of my settings. I'm not home at the moment. When I get home, I can post / send the screenshot of my settings if you'd like. As I mentioned, I was having NO ISSUES using the stock ASUS firmware. Things may change once I load the Merlin FW.

    I did see that the current Merlin FW for the GT-AX11000 does not support VPN Fusion [NEW: Added support for the GT-AX11000. Note that VPN Fusion, as well as the ROG-specific features such as the custom UI are not supported]. I'm not sure if having VPN Nord installed would be an issue or not. I don't use VPN / haven't used VPN on the GT-AX11000. It might be worth removing the VPN (Nord) and testing to see if you still experience the same issues.

  9. #9
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    13

    Initially I did try to use smart connect but the entire time my alexa echo dots wouldn't connect to the network. It wasnt until I turned it off was I able to get them to successfully connect. Now that they are all connected I suppose I can try that again to see if it helps... but remember I am even having speed issues when plugged into the router via ethernet (not the 2.5G port, just the reg 1G port).

    What I can do is turn off the VPN Client (that's how Nord connects. Its just an OPN file that I load into the router's VPN client interface) to see if things are any better throughout the day. I Have disabled it a few times since getting the router and I didnt notice any improvements in speed of browsing. (I Dont use the VPN Fusion... it wasnt on my old RT-68U so I didnt miss the new features).

    If you do get the new router, install merlin and notice issues I would try reverting back to the OEM interface. Its just so convoluted. I like merlin because its the same firmware interface from the old router so I know where to find things... I guess Im getting too old and like the familiar haha.

  10. #10
    ROG Enthusiast Array BiggShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    32

    Quote Originally Posted by noviceDave View Post
    Initially I did try to use smart connect but the entire time my alexa echo dots wouldn't connect to the network. It wasnt until I turned it off was I able to get them to successfully connect. Now that they are all connected I suppose I can try that again to see if it helps... but remember I am even having speed issues when plugged into the router via ethernet (not the 2.5G port, just the reg 1G port).

    What I can do is turn off the VPN Client (that's how Nord connects. Its just an OPN file that I load into the router's VPN client interface) to see if things are any better throughout the day. I Have disabled it a few times since getting the router and I didnt notice any improvements in speed of browsing. (I Dont use the VPN Fusion... it wasnt on my old RT-68U so I didnt miss the new features).

    If you do get the new router, install merlin and notice issues I would try reverting back to the OEM interface. Its just so convoluted. I like merlin because its the same firmware interface from the old router so I know where to find things... I guess Im getting too old and like the familiar haha.
    Looking forward to installing the Merlin FW once I receive the GT-AX11000 from ASUS. It's going to take some time for me to get reacclimated with the Merlin GUI, as it's been several years since I've used the Merlin FW.

    I'm hoping e38BimmerFN might chime in with some troubleshooting suggestions for you as well

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •