cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safe to download Maximus Viii Gene BIOS?

jhy72032
Level 7
I know asus was hit with shadowhammer 2 years ago but the BIOS file I want to use has not been signed nor does ASUS provide an MD5 to check if the file is valid. Is it safe to download the latest BIOS from 2018? I'd hate to flash a board that has a BIOS that's been tampered with.
4 REPLIES 4

claudej
Level 7
No idea what you're talking about,
But I'm running Bios 3801 on the Gene

claudej wrote:
No idea what you're talking about,
But I'm running Bios 3801 on the Gene

Asus was hit by Nation-State hackers in 2018 when that bios was posted and I was wondering if it was tampered with.

https://securelist.com/operation-shadowhammer/89992/

xeromist
That issue was with the Live Update software, not software updates posted to the website. I guess if you don't trust ASUS you can trust that researchers and hackers were going over ASUS software with a magnifying glass after the news broke and did not find any other issues.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
That issue was with the Live Update software, not software updates posted to the website. I guess if you don't trust ASUS you can trust that researchers and hackers were going over ASUS software with a magnifying glass after the news broke and did not find any other issues.

Yeah that's true, thanks.