cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z170 Pro Gaming: strange memory problem

Freccia2021
Level 7
Hi, this is the first time I write here because with Asus products, especially with motherboards, I have never had a problem for over 20 years.

6 months ago I bought two 16Gb 3200 Mhz HyperX Predator DDR4 RGB UDIMMs and installed them without any problem, enabling XMP profile # 1 in the BIOS.

Yesterday I turned on my PC as usual but nothing happened. After a couple of attempts, the screen appeared asking me to setup (F1) and I discovered that the XMP profile was deleted.

I tried to insert it again, like the first time, but after saving (F10) the computer tries to restart but I get a black screen.

The only way I have found to boot the computer regularly is in the BIOS default mode; naturally the computer no longer sees 3200 memory banks but "only" 2400 memory banks.

Can you help me understand what happened and how to fix it?

Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

Freccia2021
Level 7
After a long time, no one can answer me please?

thomas_yiu
Level 9
Hello Freccia2021,

Sorry to hear that.
Please reseat the memory modules and also clean the modules. If that doesn't work, please run Memtest86 with memory modules individually to see if the memory malfunctioned or not. Here is the link for testing program for the memory - https://www.memtest86.com/. If there is any memory malfunction, please replace the memory kit.

Thomas
Sincerely,
TY

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Freccia2021 wrote:
Hi, this is the first time I write here because with Asus products, especially with motherboards, I have never had a problem for over 20 years.

6 months ago I bought two 16Gb 3200 Mhz HyperX Predator DDR4 RGB UDIMMs and installed them without any problem, enabling XMP profile # 1 in the BIOS.

Yesterday I turned on my PC as usual but nothing happened. After a couple of attempts, the screen appeared asking me to setup (F1) and I discovered that the XMP profile was deleted.

I tried to insert it again, like the first time, but after saving (F10) the computer tries to restart but I get a black screen.

The only way I have found to boot the computer regularly is in the BIOS default mode; naturally the computer no longer sees 3200 memory banks but "only" 2400 memory banks.

Can you help me understand what happened and how to fix it?

Thanks.

Hello,

If the issue occurs when enabling the XMP profile then the overclock is likely not stable.

Enable XMP in the UEFI and try setting the below values to see if this helps the system pass POST stress tests.

VCCSA 1.25v
DRAM Voltage 1.4v

If the system does post, test stability in the OS with tools such as OCCT Memory Test, HCI Memtest or Karhu Ram Test.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090