cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z590-Plus: SATA AHCI mode VS Intel RST Premium with Intel Optane mode

74lobster
Level 10
Hi, is it convenient to switch from SATA AHCI mode to Intel RST Premium with Intel Optane system accelerator (RAID)*?

Now I have Windows 10 Professional installed and I am in AHCI mode: how should I go to Intel RST Premium with Intel Optane system accelerator (RAID) mode without having to reinstall the operating system again ?

I have only one Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD and only one SATA HDD (no RAID installed).

Thanks to who will answer me.
74lobster
10 REPLIES 10

Saltgrass
Level 13
It is best, if you know a controller change is coming, would be to set the system to boot back into Safe Mode using Msconfig.exe, after a change is made.

Before you start, look through the Bios options so you will know where to change settings to RAID. If you don't use Optane memory then don't allow it to install those drivers.

So, after Intel installs it drivers, the system reboots and you need to go into the Bios to make changes. After you make the changes, the system will reboot into Safe Mode. Once it does, you can use Msconfig.exe to set the boot back to normal then reboot normally.

If you ever need to reinstall Windows to the NVMe drive, with that configuration, keep it in mind the NVMe drive will need a SATA driver to be added during the install.

I am running my system on the standard Win 10 drivers and it seems to be performing normally. If you decide to make the change, you might want to run some type of benchmard on the NVMe drive to see how it is performing using the different drivers..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

I have installed the Intel Optane driver, all is OK:

The only issue is that the system has created a new unit, a Recovery unit (named D like an hard disk) and I wanna get rid of it.

Please take a look at the screenshot below:

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
74lobster

74lobster wrote:
I have installed the Intel Optane driver, all is OK, the only issue is that the system has created a new unit, a Recovery unit (named D like an hard disk) and I wanna get rid of it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I just explained to you that you should not be in RAID mode in your configuration, and you persist in being in RAID/Optane mode while installing the RAID/Optane drivers, what suggestion do you want to hear ?

Anyway, if you decide to go back (SATA AHCI mode) at some point, you have to :

- Switch in your BIOS your SATA controller in AHCI mode instead of RST Premium.
- Use these 2 drivers for your SATA HDD and your NVMe SSD Samsung 970 EVO Plus :
- Intel SATA AHCI Drivers (and not Intel SATA RAID/Optane)
- Samsung NVMe Controller Drivers

MoKiChU
Level 40
74lobster wrote:
Hi, is it convenient to switch from SATA AHCI mode to Intel RST Premium with Intel Optane system accelerator (RAID)*?

Now I have Windows 10 Professional installed and I am in AHCI mode: how should I go to Intel RST Premium with Intel Optane system accelerator (RAID) mode without having to reinstall the operating system again ?

I have only one Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD and only one SATA HDD (no RAID installed).

Thanks to who will answer me.

Hi,

The only reason to enable SATA RAID/RST Premium is a RAID with 2 or more SATA SSDs/SSHDs/HDDs or with 1 SATA SSDs/SSHDs/HDDs paired with 1 NVMe Intel Optane.

- Your NVMe SSD Samsung 970 EVO Plus don't use the SATA controller at all.
- You SATA HDD use the SATA controller in AHCI mode.

So, you have to stay in AHCI mode.

Saltgrass
Level 13
Why is your drive set up with a Dynamic partition? It should have set up a RAID ready system and left the drive alone otherwise.

Do you have an option to unwind the RAID array if you show as having one?

The Problem with the Optane is this takes the place of the older acceleration drives so Intel wants to set everything up so it can use the Optane memory..

The NVMe drive will run fine on the Premium SATA/PCIe driver but should not be a RAID array..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass
Level 13
There is one other requirement for this to work. The M.2 slot you have the NVMe drive in needs to be set to allow for SATA configurations..

I am going to set this up on my system as soon as the image backup finishes..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass
Level 13
I can't find a way to even test the driver since my M.2 slot on this new Z590 system does not have the SATA capabilities. The Z490 board I was on yesterday did have that option and I could have tested it then..

I might still try something just to see what happens.

I went ahead and enabled the RAID controller in the Bios and the driver installed. It did not touch the NVMe drive and I had no booting problems. There was a warning when it installed about effecting a boot drive could cause you system not to boot. I did not let it install the Optane drivers.

But, as I mentioned earlier, the standard Win 10 drivers do seem to give good performance.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

IMPORTANT:

Hi Saltgrass and MoKiChU,

after your advice I went back to the standard AHCI controller.

However as I said in my previous post, a unit "D" drive has appeared to me, which would be the Windows 10 Recovery partition that was previously hidden.

Trying to hide the drive that appeared to me as "D", that (as I already said) is the Recovery unit, now I have this drive but it is empty, can anyone tell me how to put the Windows 10 Recovery partition back in place with all the necessary files ?

I have also connected to the system an HP Officejet Pro 6830 multifunction printer which has an integrated USB port.

Before the various changement I have done, in system management, together with hard disks, the unit of the printer's USB port appeared fixed to me, while now the unit appears to me ONLY if I insert a key into the printer's USB port and this is not good...

So, please, could someone help me to re-install the Windows 10 Recovery partition with all the necessary files inside and to make the USB port of the printer appear fixed to me together with the hard disk drives in the devices and drives panel ?

Thanks to those who have the patience and the competence to help me...
74lobster

Saltgrass
Level 13
The 529 MB partition on Disk 0 is your recovery partition. Nothing should have messed with that but using only 93 MBs means the recovery tools are not in that partition.

Your Disk 0 appears to be a normal UEFI install.

Can you run this command in an admin command prompt and copy and paste the results? It will tell us if your recovery tools are enabled and where..

reagentc /info
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200