cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XIII Hero - PCIE16_1 in 8x

Zeroed85
Level 8
My GPU in the PCIE16_1 slot is running at 8x. I thought perhaps my PCIE 1x sound card occupying PCIE16_2 was causing this but after removing the sound card the PCIE16_1 slot is still in 8x. I have just one NVMe occupying the M.2_4 slot but no where in the manual does it say M.2_4 will share bandwidth with the PCIE16_1 slot.

Can someone from Asus clarify? Why is my PCIE16_1 slot in 8x with just one NVMe plugged in? Please note I am using a 10th gen 10900K but the manual clearly states that 10th gen will run the PCIE16_1 slot in 16x mode.
21 REPLIES 21

Zeroed85
Level 8
Taken from the manual it clearly says M.2_2 shares bandwidth with PCIE16_1 and PCIE16_1 will run at 8x when M.2_2 is occupied. Nowhere does it say M.2_3/M.2_4 share bandwidth with PCIE16_1.

So if I have just one NVMe occupying M.2_4 why is PCIE16_1 still in 8x and not 16x?

Saltgrass
Level 13
Your system specs seem to be a little out of date, so what processor are you running.

The attachment is saying something a little different. It says when the M.2_2 slot is Enabled then PCIe16_1 will run at 8x. It does not say occupied..so is there a way to disable the M.2_2 slot?

I will check mine with the 11th Gen processor..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
Your system specs seem to be a little out of date, so what processor are you running.

The attachment is saying something a little different. It says when the M.2_2 slot is Enabled then PCIe16_1 will run at 8x. It does not say occupied..so is there a way to disable the M.2_2 slot?

I will check mine with the 11th Gen processor..

Sorry I just got this new hardware up and running so haven't changed any system specs yet. I did mention above I'm using a 10900K with the XIII Hero.

Well you could just be right, enabled/occupied are different things. I will have to check the BIOS. Please tell me your result...

Saltgrass
Level 13
My system is showing x16 on the slot and I have M.2_1 occupied..

I did not see a setting in the Bios to disable the slot but some other setting (or Processor) might effectively do that.

When I was running the 11th Gen on the XII, the PCIe16_1 slot was running at x8. Someone else mentioned they saw that was being done when running PCIe 4..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
My system is showing x16 on the slot and I have M.2_1 occupied..

I did not see a setting in the Bios to disable the slot but some other setting (or Processor) might effectively do that.

When I was running the 11th Gen on the XII, the PCIe16_1 slot was running at x8. Someone else mentioned they saw that was being done when running PCIe 4..

So what do you think the problem is? The screenshot below is about the most I could find related to PCIE and M.2. I would assume by using option 1 the M.2_2 slot should be disabled. Perhaps it is but PCIE16_1 is still in 8x. :confused:

Saltgrass
Level 13
My guess would be the processor. I never ran the 10th Gen on this board so I cannot verify it does what you are seeing.

The M.2_1 and M.2_2 slots both come off the processor with the M.2_1 being disabled with the 10th Gen. .. so it could be processor related..

And there usually aren't any Official ASUS technical folks in these forums.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
My guess would be the processor. I never ran the 10th Gen on this board so I cannot verify it does what you are seeing.

The M.2_1 and M.2_2 slots both come off the processor with the M.2_1 being disabled with the 10th Gen. .. so it could be processor related..

And there usually aren't any Official ASUS technical folks in these forums.

The manual clearly states 10th gen processors support PCIE 16. I guess I will need to create a support ticket if no one official can answer here.

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Zeroed85 wrote:
My GPU in the PCIE16_1 slot is running at 8x. I thought perhaps my PCIE 1x sound card occupying PCIE16_2 was causing this but after removing the sound card the PCIE16_1 slot is still in 8x. I have just one NVMe occupying the M.2_4 slot but no where in the manual does it say M.2_4 will share bandwidth with the PCIE16_1 slot.

Can someone from Asus clarify? Why is my PCIE16_1 slot in 8x with just one NVMe plugged in? Please note I am using a 10th gen 10900K but the manual clearly states that 10th gen will run the PCIE16_1 slot in 16x mode.

Have you tried removing all expansion cards and NVME drives from the system and checking then?

Might want to try both reseating the CPU and GPU to ensure proper contact.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
Have you tried removing all expansion cards and NVME drives from the system and checking then?

Might want to try both reseating the CPU and GPU to ensure proper contact.

Last post I told a lie, I moved the sound card from PCIE16_2 to PCIE16_3. I removed the sound card completely this afternoon and PCIE16_1 is now reporting running in 16x mode. However I am stuck with a bit of a problem, the XIII Hero only has one 1x slot that I cannot put the sound card into because my GPU obstructs it. My question is why does the PCIE16_3 slot when populated with the PCIe 1x sound card drop the PCIE16_1 slot into 8x? The manual doesn't state anywhere that PCIE16_3 shares bandwidth with PCIE16_1.