Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mastermind19 Array

Does the M.2 manufacturer have recommendation for better thermal pad for the M.2 drives? We only have standard thermal pads. If you want higher performance thermal pads, you might 3rd party thermal pads.
    Sincerely,
    TY

Administrator Array Silent Scone@ROG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Steel View Post
    68c sounds fine. SSD's like being around 60-80 degrees. Do some benchmarks/stress tests to test if the SSD's are thermal throttling.
    This. With passive cooling anything under 70c is acceptable. With heavy data writes these drives can get fairly warm.

ROG Member Array

Your problem is the proximity of your GPU to the heatsink of the M.2. *Simple thermo dynamics he says*.

That card dumps a load of transformed energy into the box. The small distance between the fan vent on the card and the aluminium heatsink on the M.2's will result in heatsoak on the heatsink eventually as the heated air blasts against it constantly. Maybe 3 options here:

1) Watercool the card to shift the expelled energy to outward facing radiators. Costly, pain in the backend in terms of maintenance, but super effective.

2) Use a riser and Vertical GPU stand to change the orientation of the card so that the hot air isn't blasted directly onto your M.2 heatsinks. Cheaper option. Case limitations may apply.

3) Increase ventilation in your case with more fans or better orientation in an attempt to shift the hot air out quicker. (this could buy you some time, but ultimately for long sessions you'll get heatsoak anyways)

Hope you come right!

ROG Junior Member Array team666 PC Specs
    team666 PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG MAXIMUS HERO VII
    ProcessorINTEL 4970K
    Memory (part number)CORSAIR VENGEANCE
    Graphics Card #1ASUS ROG STRIX 1080
    MonitorASUS 27
    Storage #1SAMSUNG 500GB SSD
    Storage #2SAMSUNG 500GB SSD
    CPU CoolerCOOLERMASTER VG GTS
    CaseNXZT 4400
    Power SupplyCORSAIR 650I
    Keyboard APPLE ALUMINUM
    Mouse CORSAIR SCHIMITAR
    Headset ASIS ROG STRIX
    Mouse Pad RAZOR GOLIATH
    Headset/Speakers PIONEER
    OS WINDOWS 10 64BIT
    Network RouterUBIQUITY USG PRO4

Has anyone tried thermal grizzly minus 120 x 20 x 0.5mm and 1.0mm pads to cover the nvme chips for a samsung 980 pro. As the nvme chips step down in height their can be an air gap to the heatsink/pad as the higher chips step down to lower chips. according to a youtube video using 0.5 to 1.0mm pads over the chips levels out better with the heatsink and reduced temps by 14c at idle and 10c at load. i was thinking to try this myself search youtube for: Stop your Samsung NVMe SSD from Overheating and Thermal Throttling
    alm_tree: :flag_black: TSIXGaming.com

New ROGer Array

Running cooler with active fan

I had the same problem. To combat the heat, I moved my M.2 drive from next to the graphics card, to the M.2 socket nearer the front SATA ports and installed this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For airflow purposes, I ended up flipping the fan around (probably doesn't matter; just a personal choice). Fan is super quiet and I can't hear it even running at max speed. I've since settled on 70% max speed to hopefully improve longevity of the unit.

Previously my M.2 drive ran about 54 degree C. Now my drive normally runs at 37 degrees C. On this chilly morning as I type this, my drive is running at 32 degrees.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2