cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lower than expected WiFi speed with AX11000

Soupladel
Level 10
I recently got the AX11000 for use with my full fibre connection at my new house and have been coming up against an issue that doesn’t seem sit well with the specification of this unit.

I have a 900Mbps connection and using Ethernet I can archive sees of just over the 900Mbps so I know the connection to the ONT for fibre is working well. However when trying to do a similar speed test using WiFi, the speed varies*as you might expect for wireless but it never get above 700Mbps when sat within a couple feet of the unit. *I have tried various distances to ensure I wasn’t too close, I have also tried three different WiFi 6 enabled devices, an iPhone 11 Pro Max, IPhone 12 and my Asus G512LV laptop so I can be reasonably sure the speed problem is not entirely cause by the client device.

I have tried various settings including making 5G_2 AX Only with 160Mhz enabled and I still don’t get anywhere close to full speed. *It’s a new estate so there aren’t really too many competing networks within range so I am a little bit stumped. *I am on the latest, non-beta version of the firmware.

Can anyone give any advice on optimum settings that might make a difference here? In the case of my laptop I have updated the AX drivers to the latest for the preinstalled AX201 card as I know there have been issues there but I am still stuck. *Unfortunately the property is not wired for Ethernet, despite being a new build, and the warranty prevents me drilling holes to run Ethernet anywhere so I am stuck with WiFi for just now and would prefer to get the most of the connection I am paying for.

Any help appreciated*
14 REPLIES 14

Saltgrass
Level 13
If you look in the Windows Settings and the Network section, clicking on the netwwork should give is specs. What do you show for the Link Speeds for the client device?

If you are using 5G_1 you may see 2402/2402 or if 5G_2 1202/1202 Mbps.. Try moving the client unit around and even change orientation in regard to the router.

The AX201 uses part of the Processor/chipset to function, so also make sure those drivers are updated.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

I have just read elsewherre that it might be to do with the number of streams the client devices are capable of, apparently the AX201 card in my Laptop only support 2x2 stream for AX.

You are however right, i was using 5G_2 and getting a link speed of 1.2 Gbps but only reaching a maximum of 700Mbps of a theoretical 900Mbpa

I suspect i am just never going to get anything near maximum speed on wifi unless there are any other suggestions?

Saltgrass
Level 13
You actual speed may depend on many things. If Windows is showing a Link Speed of over 1 Gbps and you had the only device on the network, you should be able to get good speeds. A speed test should show your ISP's actual speed. I currently get almost 500 Mbps on a 400 Mbps ISP speed. A system approaching 1 Gbps may see different situations which effect its speed.

Another situation could be involving some type of Bandwidth Manger or QoS settings that might limit speeds on certain types of streams.

A 2x2 card is what most cards are so you are fine with that. The 5G_1 is 2x2 and the 5G_2 is 1x1..

Beyond that, just make sure your signal strength is good.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

This is the issue though, I have very good signal strength, using 5G_1 I get a link speed of 2.4Ghz yet I am still unable to get above 600-700Mhz. There are no QoS settings in place nor any bandwidth management because using an Ethernet connection I get full speed so something is preventing anywhere close to full speed on Wi-fi 6 despite using device that support 2x2 stream yet your suggestion I should’ve able to get full speed or close to?

Is there something I am missing in terms of wifi set up? Is there a recommended list of setting to achieve maximum available speed for AX Devices?Â*

Saltgrass
Level 13
Are you using Smart Connect?

Are you going through any type of Wireless Access Point, such as an AiMesh device?

Is your bandwidth being split with another device or devices?

Have you changed any of the default settings on the router?

Have you been able to test internal network speeds, like putting another system on the 2.5 Gbps port to your system?

If you were to have a Dell system, I would ask about SmartByte..

I think my Z490 board had an Intel AX201 card and I don't remember it having a problem..

You have or have not used Ethernet to verify your expected speeds?
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
Are you using Smart Connect?

Are you going through any type of Wireless Access Point, such as an AiMesh device?

Is your bandwidth being split with another device or devices?

Have you changed any of the default settings on the router?

Have you been able to test internal network speeds, like putting another system on the 2.5 Gbps port to your system?

If you were to have a Dell system, I would ask about SmartByte..

I think my Z490 board had an Intel AX201 card and I don't remember it having a problem..

You have or have not used Ethernet to verify your expected speeds?

No, i am not using Smart Connect, It had been suggested to me elsewhere as something that might help, i tried it and it didn't

No access point or mesh currently, it is Device (be that a phone, laptop or now desktop PC) > AX11000 > Fibre ONT

at the points of testing, there has been no other devices on the network, therefore not possible for the bandwidth to be split

As for default settings on the router? yes, i have changed a number of settings including turning off Airtime Fairness and Multi User Mimo as it had been suggested these might maximise my connection speed.

Not tested internal network speeds as yet, not quite sure about the best way to do this.

Don't have any Dell systems

I am now have an AX card installed into my AMD system (Crosshair VIII motherboard) which is the Asus PCE-AX58BT which is based on the AX200 controller and the results i am getting from it are identical to the laptop and the iphone devices tested so far.

Ethernet has been used to confirm the router is seeing 900Mbps+ speeds

I'm facing almost identical issues to you. Since purchasing the Ax11000 and currently now with Bell 8gb speeds.from 3gb. I can't get past 700mbps max I've ever hit on the Ax11000. The Bell Giga Hub on wifi 6e near the modem on my S23 ultra hit 1.7gbps

Saltgrass
Level 13
Just wondering since not much seems to be happening, is the speed always at exactly 700 Mbps or does if vary from that number? I might think if it always went up to but no faster that, something was limiting the speed.. If it were moving around, like 300 up 700 Mbps, that might mean something else is sapping your speed..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
Just wondering since not much seems to be happening, is the speed always at exactly 700 Mbps or does if vary from that number? I might think if it always went up to but no faster that, something was limiting the speed.. If it were moving around, like 300 up 700 Mbps, that might mean something else is sapping your speed..

The speed varies with the occasional peaks above.

However yesterday i did get a result from Ookla which suggested i was getting just over 800Mbps which was a surprise to say the least (this was on my desktop with the AX200 based card)