cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog strix gd30ci M.2 SSD limit?

toronto699
Level 13
ROG STRIX GD30CI Is It Possible To Add A 2TB M.2 SSD To This GD30CI Asus PC , is a 2TB M.2 Compatible Or Is There A Limit On The Amount Of Storage For a M.2 On The GD30CI Or Is There A Way To Add A 2TB M.2 If Its Not Compatible By Storage Limit On The GD30CI
I Have 2 {XPG RBG] M.2 SSD's 2TB . I Bought One Won The Other In A Contest ,
8 REPLIES 8

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Hi toronto699,

Unfortunately, our information about upgrades in these desktops sold complete will normally be very limited since we only approve what was sold with the units and do not normally check or approve newer drives.
My information shows we only approved M.2 SSDs up to 512GB for the GD30CI although guessing larger sizes would work, but not sure how large.

=============

If you already have the desktop and 2TB M.2 SSD, maybe you want to plug it in to try and see if the bios can detect it as well as Disk Management or a Windows installation disk?

toronto699
Level 13
cl-Albert
Thanks For The Reply If The M.2 2TB Does Not Work I Will Buy A New PC and donate The GD30CI To A Local School
I Will Try to see if GD30CI bios can detect the 2TB M.2 SSD as well as Disk Management or a Windows installation disk , No Problem
I Will Send The Second M.2 SSD I Have To A Forum Member as a Gift for their help ,

toronto699
Level 13
Success My GD30CI Had No Issue With The XPG RGB 2TB SSD I Installed , Everything Works Perfectly , I Will Add A Second XPG RGB 2TB In The Second M.2 Slot When It Arrives ,
I Use The 2TB XPG RGB SSD For Music Storage {BACKUP } That's On My Sony Walkman 105 Only , Thank You Very Much ,

cl-Albert
toronto699 wrote:
Success My GD30CI Had No Issue With The XPG RGB 2TB SSD I Installed , Everything Works Perfectly , I Will Add A Second XPG RGB 2TB In The Second M.2 Slot When It Arrives ,

Glad to hear that worked out and thanks for letting us know.
By the way not sure if I understood your message correctly, but the GD30CI only has one M.2 SSD slot as far as I know.
There is a second M.2 slot used by the wireless card, but it's not for M.2 SSDs, so hope that was clear.

cl-Albert@ROG wrote:
Glad to hear that worked out and thanks for letting us know.
By the way not sure if I understood your message correctly, but the GD30CI only has one M.2 SSD slot as far as I know.
There is a second M.2 slot used by the wireless card, but it's not for M.2 SSDs, so hope that was clear.

cl-Albert , OK Thanks For Info The Asus Webpage Is Clear ON The two M.2 Slots Usage
ASUS GD30CI M.2 Info
2 x M.2
4 x PCI-e x 1
2 x PCI-e x 16
https://origin-www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-STRIX-GD30CI/specifications/
3.5" Up to 3TB HDD
2.5" Up to 512GB SSD
Up to 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
Up to 512GB M.2 SATA SSD

cl-Albert
toronto699 wrote:
cl-Albert , OK Thanks For Info The Asus Webpage Is Clear ON The two M.2 Slots Usage
ASUS GD30CI M.2 Info
2 x M.2
4 x PCI-e x 1
2 x PCI-e x 16
https://origin-www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-STRIX-GD30CI/specifications/
3.5" Up to 3TB HDD
2.5" Up to 512GB SSD
Up to 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
Up to 512GB M.2 SATA SSD

toronto699, thanks for the link and information, but it doesn't appear to be a public page accessible through the www.asus.com webpage anymore, otherwise, I would request it be updated to be more clear.

Not sure if you agree or not, but if you have the GD30CI and check the motherboard, you should only see one M.2 SSD slot and one M.2 slot used by the wireless card.

toronto699
Level 13
cl-Albert Thanks I Will Check Today , After My Drake Video Shoot
This Link Works For Me G30CI

iskbig
Level 7

hi, how did u upgrade to the 2tb ssd. upgraded mine to a samsung 980 pro but bios doesn't detect it in the m.2 slot for boot. thanks 🙂