cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Z390-F Gaming BIOS with Resizable BAR support for Nvidia RTX 30 series cards

Desperanto
Level 7
Any one already tried???
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/ROG_STRIX_Z390-E_GAMING/ROG-STRIX-Z390-F-GAMING-ASUS-1...
Version 1901 Beta
2021/04/14 8.12 MBytes
ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING BIOS 1901
'Add Resizable BAR support for Nvidia RTX 30 series cards to potentially deliver more performance to gamers in select titles.
12 REPLIES 12

Desperanto
Level 7
Will answer myself: all works fine!
THX, ASUS!

Yep works great here with a 5ghz overclock:

https://valid.x86.fr/f7ayxi

vvoid
Level 8
Not so positive for me. Coming from 1302 my previous settings are not stable. First it wouldn't post because of RTL/IO settings (Auto works though), then it's not stable regarding my oc. Still trying to figure out what has changed, I suppose it's vcore or LLC which is either reported differently, or behaviour really changed. Or it's my custom RAM settings...

vvoid wrote:
Not so positive for me. Coming from 1302 my previous settings are not stable. First it wouldn't post because of RTL/IO settings (Auto works though), then it's not stable regarding my oc. Still trying to figure out what has changed, I suppose it's vcore or LLC which is either reported differently, or behaviour really changed. Or it's my custom RAM settings...

i wouldnt use previous bios settings coming from such a old version might be better starting fresh

vvoid
Level 8
Well, settings are settings and usually they should "work" in an absolute sense, no matter the BIOS version. Esp. memory timings. And that's not the case here, I think this might have started from versions 17xy onwards, having read lots of threads about those newer versions.

But I think I've now stabilized it, actually 1901 seems to be _better_ than 1302 in regards to memory oc. The issue for me was not vcore/CPU-related as I initially thought (though there's a slight difference in LLC levels, I'm pretty sure), but memory. Esp. RTL/IO needs to be different and in general, slightly higher freqs (100-200MHz) might be reachable on 1901 for me. But that's beside the point, first prio was to stabilize my previous 1302 timings:
1. Set RTT_PARK to 240 for both channels. (as suggested in some Maximus BIOS threads --> also seems to fix long POST times)
2. Set XMP1 BIOS profile (before I always used Manuel. But I set all timings manually anyway, so I'm not sure this does anything)
3. RTL/IO all Auto in order to POST my previous timings, then proceed as usual to determine the best values. (resulted in tighter settings than what I had before! Don't leave those on Auto if close to the edge!)
4. All other primary/secondary/tertiary timings remained the same, no single regression, bandwith/latency about the same as on 1302 and appears to be stable.

For reference, this is with 4 sticks of good B-Die 3200 CL14, running at 3913 16-17-17-35 with very tight subtimings overall. Currently testing 4013, which didn't POST on 1302, now it does... 🙂

vvoid wrote:
Well, settings are settings and usually they should "work" in an absolute sense, no matter the BIOS version. Esp. memory timings.

That's not always the case. How the settings are stored and where the settings are stored in memory can and often does change between versions. That's why it's always recommended to start fresh when upgrading your BIOS especially when jumping multiple versions. User profiles are best used as a backup when tweaking and testing settings on the same version BIOS.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950x | Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero (BIOS 4602) | Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory: G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FE | PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850
Drives: Samsung 980 PRO 2TB x2, WD_BLACK 10TB HD | Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 Dark Tinted Glass

rexbinary wrote:
That's not always the case. How the settings are stored and where the settings are stored in memory can and often does change between versions. That's why it's always recommended to start fresh when upgrading your BIOS especially when jumping multiple versions. User profiles are best used as a backup when tweaking and testing settings on the same version BIOS.

I'm finding this to be the case as well. I was having issues with RAM Training/timings, and the Park suggestions here so far seem to work, as well as manually starting all over after a bios flash.

Ok, flash was successful, lost all my bios profiles but had a backup.
Got the rebar icon in top right corner of my bios screen. Pointing the mouse at it reveals an on/off menu, which enables both Above 4G-Decoding on my z390-F board, and enables resizesable bar, which is shown in the latest gpu-z.

"edit" It's not more stable for me, my overclock needs minor adaptive vcore adjustments to survive my stresstest. I too came from 1302 bios.
My bios also now lists 8 sata ports, I have only 6 physical ones.

Bisquit wrote:
Ok, flash was successful, lost all my bios profiles but had a backup.
Got the rebar icon in top right corner of my bios screen. Pointing the mouse at it reveals an on/off menu, which enables both Above 4G-Decoding on my z390-F board, and enables resizesable bar, which is shown in the latest gpu-z.

"edit" It's not more stable for me, my overclock needs minor adaptive vcore adjustments to survive my stresstest. I too came from 1302 bios.
My bios also now lists 8 sata ports, I have only 6 physical ones.

same here, bios listed 8x sata port