cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX Graphics Driver

garratt04
Level 7
Hello,

I was just wondering if there is a newer driver than the 268.37 on any of the ASUS Websites or if its possible to download the newest drivers straight from the nVidia website? The reason I ask is because I seem to be getting some lag in battlefield 3 and they told me the newest drivers work the best in game...
8 REPLIES 8

zsld0423
Level 9
I'd definitely recommend upgrading those drivers. I had a lot of issues with BF3 on my computer, the worst being that I'd get black lines/artifacts. The most recent on Nvidia's webise is 296.10 but there will be a 296.16(I think that's the specific version) that will be coming out soon

edit: Here's the link to Nvidia's site for the GTX 560M Graphics card driver

http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/42588
Sager NP9370
256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD + 750GB 7200RPM Secondary HDD
nVidia GeForce GTX 680M 4GB VRAM
Intel Core i7-3630QM 2.40GHz
16GB RAM
Mouse: MadCatz R.A.T. 7
Keyboard: Razer Lycosa Mirror
Additional Monitors: 24" 1080p Insignia LED/LCD TV and 21" Acer LCD Monitor
Windows 7 Ultimate

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Yeah, plenty of owners here get their drivers directly from nVidia. Here's the latest is WHQL 296.10. (Asus has to test and approvoe drivers before they post updates, so they are always behind.)

is there a correct way to install them with a notebook or simply uninstall old ones restart and install the new one?

garratt04 wrote:
is there a correct way to install them with a notebook or simply uninstall old ones restart and install the new one?

Technically, you should not have to uninstall the old one first, though some owners do this anyway. The nVidia installer includes a "clean install" option which is meant to clear out all remnants of older drivers. (Though note that it also wipes out any custom settings as well.)

I've never had any issue updating nVidia drivers using the WHQL installer directly from nVidia. Just close all other programs and use the clean install to play it safe.

dstrakele
Level 14
For the NVIDIA drivers, I recommend booting into Safe Mode, choosing "Custom Install, and checking the "clean install" checkbox to remove the previous version.

By booting into Safe Mode, you will:
1) Close open applications, reset your system and recover "leaked" memory, also eliminating memory fragmentation, and more importantly
2) disable other running drivers that may potentially interfere with your NVIDIA driver installation.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

i have tried a lot of ways to flash the vga driver but no matter what i always end up with a long black boot up screen after windows logo taking up to 3 minutes to boot up,,,,,,,, but when i uninstalled the vga drivers it boots up in 19 seconds every time bigg diff........
G74SX-BBK8
i7 2670QM
16GB 1600MHz
NVIDIA GTX 560M 2GB
120GB KINGSTON HYPER X SSD
INTEL CENTRINO ULTIMATE-N 6300

gilbert wrote:
i have tried a lot of ways to flash the vga driver but no matter what i always end up with a long black boot up screen after windows logo taking up to 3 minutes to boot up,,,,,,,, but when i uninstalled the vga drivers it boots up in 19 seconds every time bigg diff........

This is not common to the VGA driver (i.e.,many other owners have used the various nVidia drivers without experiencing this long start-up delay), so I think it's something specific to your machine and/or software setup.

yeah maybe is something else that is not getting along with the vga drivers ,but i need everything i have installed and the way i have it set up......
G74SX-BBK8
i7 2670QM
16GB 1600MHz
NVIDIA GTX 560M 2GB
120GB KINGSTON HYPER X SSD
INTEL CENTRINO ULTIMATE-N 6300