cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom paint?

Assassin27
Level 7
Apologies if this is the wrong thread to post this

I'm in the process of a new build. I would like to go with a black case and several white components inside. It's hard to find white in some of the things I would like. So I decided to paint certain things like my PSU

I will be getting the ASUS ROG Thor 850 80+ Platinum 850W PSU, it only comes in black and I would like to paint the housing white leaving some areas black such as where the word "Thor" is and such.

My questions are, what kind of paint should I use and will this void the warranty or if there is a warranty sticker and I don't break the sticker and paint it, will it void it?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all and any help!
2 REPLIES 2

xeromist
I believe painting may void the warranty, yeah. Thankfully that's not a super expensive component like a GPU and PSUs generally last a very long time if you don't abuse them. You'll probably never need an RMA.

Probably more important than the paint is the prep and primer. You'll want to take the housing off the PSU so you're just working with that and you'll probably want a self etching primer since you won't know if any given paint will adhere well to the factory finish.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

loganbarry
Level 8

When painting the housing of your ASUS ROG Thor 850 80+ Platinum 850W PSU, it's important to choose a paint suitable for metal surfaces. Acrylic-based or enamel paints designed for metal should work well in this case. These paints provide good adhesion and durability on metal surfaces.

To ensure the best results, it's crucial to disassemble the PSU and cover sensitive components before painting. This will protect them from any potential damage or interference with the PSU's operation. Carefully follow the disassembly instructions provided by the manufacturer to avoid any mishaps.

Regarding the warranty, it's possible that painting the housing of the PSU may void the warranty, as modifying the product can often void manufacturer warranties. Even if you don't break any warranty stickers, altering the appearance of the PSU may be considered unauthorized modification. To get accurate information about the impact on the warranty, it's recommended to contact ASUS directly or refer to the warranty terms and conditions provided by the manufacturer. They can provide you with specific details regarding any potential warranty voidance.

In summary, choose a paint suitable for metal surfaces, disassemble the PSU before painting, and contact ASUS or refer to the warranty terms to determine the impact on the warranty. Remember to follow proper safety precautions and painting techniques for the best results. Enjoy your painting project and the new experience it brings!