cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG G752VL - Am I able to run two additional monitors?

Reddington
Level 7
Hello,

I currently am using an Insignia 1080p flatscreen tv as my second monitor and bought a bought a device off Amazon that would allow for multiple HDMI connections. When this device is plugged into the laptop, and the two additional TVs are connected, all that happens is screen flickering. Is my laptop able to run both TVs, or is it only suited for one external display?
7 REPLIES 7

xeromist
It sounds like it could be a problem with your mystery device. That model has HDMI and mini DP so it can support two outputs if you use those ports.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
It sounds like it could be a problem with your mystery device. That model has HDMI and mini DP so it can support two outputs if you use those ports.

This is what I bought, was told I needed it when asking previously (not here).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0725K1MHH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

xeromist
I would try using one connected to the built-in HDMI and the second through your USB adapter to see if that helps. Perhaps taking some load off might help. I've personally used a Startech USB display adapter and found that it tended to lose sync with my monitor. So I know a lot of people seem to give them good reviews but my personal experience says they can have problems.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

If it has USB C you can get a cable to run a monitor from that also.

xeromist wrote:
I would try using one connected to the built-in HDMI and the second through your USB adapter to see if that helps. Perhaps taking some load off might help. I've personally used a Startech USB display adapter and found that it tended to lose sync with my monitor. So I know a lot of people seem to give them good reviews but my personal experience says they can have problems.

Welllllll I'm an idiot, I completely forgot to install the Startech drivers. 😱 I have them installed and all is working now. There's one tiny problem still. My third monitor I just connected to has too big of a resolution. I went into the display settings, but it is not allowing me to change the monitor's display size. I can change it for my laptop monitor and second monitor, but the third is grayed out.

https://gyazo.com/807cfcadffcd42e7483a8bf3df1854c4

xeromist
If it's a clone of another display then you would only set the resolution once. Otherwise maybe it's a limitation of the startech device. As I mentioned, you might want to try the built in HDMI port to see if that makes a difference.

xeromist wrote:
If it's a clone of another display then you would only set the resolution once. Otherwise maybe it's a limitation of the startech device. As I mentioned, you might want to try the built in HDMI port to see if that makes a difference.

Well, that sucks. I'd like to change the resolution, but I imagine no matter which one is plugged into HDMI and which one is plugged into StarTech, it will be the same result.

Thanks.