cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TUF Gaming Z590 doesn’t work with Optical Drive

Rich281
Level 7
I recently purchased a TUF Gaming Z590-Plus WIFI motherboard and an Intel core i5-11600k CPU.
I have a Samsung 980Pro SSD in M2. Slot 1 and a Samsung 980 in Slot 3. Both are 1 TB.
I tried to hook an optical drive to SATA 1 and had a terrible time. It would seldom work. If it did work, it read the disk correctly. It just would not auto run the disk and the drive letter wouldn’t show up in File Explorer. I tried a second drive and updated the BIOS/UEFI. Nothing worked. The drive was listen in Device Manager and in the UEFI. I uninstalled from Device Manager and let in be re-installed. Nothing worked. I then turned on HOT PLUG for SATA 1 and everything seems to work fine. What’s going on?
3 REPLIES 3

raju2529
Level 7
then there is certain restrictions modified in motherboard firmware or sata cable might be damaged..
read the motherboard user manual for clean tips.
Intel i5 7200U_ Nvidia 940MX _Windows_11_Enterprise_64bit_22H2_buildno_22621.754

raju2529 wrote:
then there is certain restrictions modified in motherboard firmware or sata cable might be damaged..
read the motherboard user manual for clean tips.

I am well aware of the shared bandwidth between M.2 drives and some SATA ports. I have avoided any affected SATA ports and as I stated, I have tried other ports as well. I have now tried another "known good" SATA cable with the same results. I should also mention that if I substitute a WD 1TB hard drive for the Optical Drive, everything works fine. I can let the computer go to sleep, restart the computer, etc. without any problem
I don't know what "clean tips" means. I have previously built 11 computers and regularly read various informative web sites.

xeromist
Could be the drive is failing to initialize completely in the time the motherboard expects. Having hot plug enabled means the drive can connect and disconnect whenever it wants.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…